diy solar

diy solar

My hot tub uses 49% of my electricity per month...lets fix that.

It is not going to like the chemicals, they will eat the heat exchanger. Also those units are designed for a 60-70 degree heat rise through the unit, when feeding it with already heated water it will probably cycle on and off repeatedly as it hits its high limit. Will it work? probably but not well.
I installed an O3 creator in my tub a year ago and it reduced the amt of chemicals I use in my tub dramatically.

Sooo! I started my install last week. Some parts went well, others, not so much... As to the actual tankless..that worked out well and installed properly:

1704222072102.png

I haven't installed the front yet, but not a huge deal. Re-directing the circulation pump ended up not diverting enough flow to the tankless so it never started heating. My original plumbing was overly complicated with 3 different one way valves to make sure the water went the proper directions. I ended up cutting it all out and starting over.
1704222180737.png

This time, I'm separating the main inlet / pumps plumbing from the circulation / heating plumbing. To do this, I'll need to drill 2 additional holes in the tub. I have an old tub with an unusually large filter area with plenty of room for an additional inlet for the circulation pump. The 2nd hole will be where the hot water will be added back into the tub. Thankfully, there's an area near the circulation pump where you can drill out and add an additional vent / outlet. Currently, I'm waiting on a few plumbing parts to come in the mail that I couldn't get from Home Depot.

Stay Tuned!
-Troy

Last edited:
Ok, I completed my hot tub project this week! I ended up buying a wifi controlled smart switch that has a temp sensor:

Inkbird 308 wifi

It connects to the tankless water heater and turns off when it senses the temperature at 98 degrees.
I put the circulation on a basic smart plug that connects to my home wifi that turns on the pump every 3 hours for 30 mins at a time (pump only pulls 340 watts). When the tankless senses water flow and turns on if the temp is lower than 98 degrees. I have the tankless set to heat the water to 140 degrees so it doesn't take long to get the tub water to 98. Then it turns off the tankless. The heating process seems to take about 20 mins and the circulation pump runs with the heater off for another 10 mins.

Here is the final plumbing:

1706287101849.png

1706287116858.png

Nice. Have you run the numbers to see what you're saving?
I need to wait a month to see how my avg kwh changes, but here's some rough #'s

Old system used about 660 kwh per month
Estimated new system should be about 32.4kwh per month and most of that will be the circulation pump, not the actual heating part

I'll be revisiting this in a few months when I'm finally making more power than I'm using, basically looking at the hot tub as a dump load. I'm envisioning putting a heating element inline with the circulation pump with some basic temp controls, only shutting it off if it's above ~100F.

Back