diy solar

diy solar

Hot tub keeps resetting when grid charges batteries.

jdhtejas

Hey Folks,

Im having a complete 1st world problem here with my EG4 6000 EX. It has been running our above ground pool and our garage off grid for over a year. I still have tons of power left on our inverter so decided after we got our inflatable hot tub set up to add that to the mix to save a little more in our electric bill. Its a 120v hot tub that has an in line GFCI type plug that hasn't tripped yet. It runs everything great until the inverter kicks over to the grid to help recharge the batteries (which is usually at night). When it does this it resets our hot tub. The tub stay on but it just puts it in like a "ready" mode like when I unplug it and plug it back in. The heater and filter dont automatically come back on so it gets cold. It doest trip the GFCI plug so I dont have to reset it, it just acts like it lost power for a second and gets plugged back in.

I have the inverter set to UPS mode so I thought that it would be enough to not have to worry about a large enough delay when switching over to have it reset but theres got to be something Im missing. It doesn't do this when it switches from being powered by my solar to being powered by battery, only when the grid kicks in to recharge the batteries.

My setup is a 3kw Solar setup, 350ah battery bank. I do have it set up for the grid to kick in when the battery is at 70% to charge the batteries back as we would also be using this as a short term power outage solution so I didn't want the batteries drained too much so not sure if I need to kick this down to 20 or 30 percent. But I still feel would have the same problem when the grid kicks in that it would still "reset" the hot tub.

What other info do I need to provide? Thanks in advance for everyone suggestions. Again, this is a complete luxury but I would like for it work :)

The hot tub "controller" apparently can't tolerate the small interruption.

Can't tell you what to do about that short of tearing into it and re-engineering.

Put a monitor in line with the tub supply and time the gaps for each type of switching, I bet the inverter switch over to grid is longer than the others. So the tub needs its own UPS for this gap in supply.

I had a cheap inflatable hottub. It would shutoff after 12 hours. Which was totally useless because it would be cold the next day and require 12 hours to reheat.

Who wakes up in the morning and says, "today in approximately 10 hours I'm going to use the hottub!"

Yes a cheap UPS would be the solution, trouble is it needs to be big enough to cover the load, maybe 3kwh , could be expensive

You *might* need to only keep the electronics of the H.T. controller running. Working over the power supply for that and adding a capacitor to its power supply output (I am assuming this is a digital device of some kind) would keep it from falling off the cliff during the transition.

Back