diy solar

diy solar

18 kpv “input power” vs “bypass”

GuyG

Solar Enthusiast
I noticed that the latest spec on the 18kpv has a curious addition. It says “Max AC input power” is 12,000 watts, and “Max AC Bypass” is 200 amps. What does that mean? What’s the difference between AC Input and AC Bypass?

It suggests that only 12 Kw of grid assist is additive to what the inverter can produce from PV or batteries; i.e., a total of only 100 amps using grid “input.” Is there a different “bypass” mode where a relay or something shuts down DC-to-AC inverting so as to pull up to 200 amps from the grid?

Can some knowledgeable EG4, SS, or Luxpower person help me understand this?IMG_7001.jpeg

with the 18kpv in bypass, it's just passing thru the grid. If the grid actually goes down, then you are left with 12kW of inverter, so you may need to adjust your loads accordingly.

Thanks Brucey, but I’m not asking about a grid-down situation. I’m asking about how the unit handles things when loads are between 24 Kw and 48 Kw.

Assuming that there is plenty of PV coming in, the inverter can handle the first 12 Kw of load on its own with no grid assist needed. Loads above 12Kw will need help from the grid. But if “AC Input” tops out at 12Kw, what happens when the load demand rises above 24Kw? Does the inverter switch into a “bypass” mode in which all of the AC output comes from the grid and none of it from inverting? What happens to the PV available?

My understanding is that in a grid down situation, if you exceed 50A in load the 18kpv will shut down.

18Kpv prioritizes solar first, then if any other power is needed the grid will supply the difference. I think that’s what you are asking?

If connected to grid, any excess energy needed is passed through, up to 200 amps.

It can invert up to 12K, regardless of from batteries, PV, whatever. Anything more than that can be drawn from grid.

Basically, if you had no solar and no batteries, the 18 acts as a pass through.

And if the grid input is down and your loads exceed 12kw, it can surge for periods of time before shutting down. From the spec sheet:
w/ PV: 14,700W (10 min), 15,500W (5 min)
w/o PV: 13500W (10 min)
In practice I've seen 1 of mine handle a surge up to like 17kw for a few minutes without shutting down.

Back