diy solar

diy solar

18kpv, CTs, L1, L2, confused, help

Packen

I’ve done the search, read till my eyes bleed, only to be more confused. It seams that everybody has different solutions.

First off, how do I know which line from my meter is L1 or L2? Or does it matter? Both wires are black, neutral has a stripe.

Which direction do I point the arrows on the CTs?
I plan to net meter. I will be going from the meter to the inverter then to my 200a panel.
I’m ready to make the connections now but worried about the L1L2 thing and CT direction.

L1 and L2 are based on what terminal the wires are connected to on the inverter. One way to determine this is with a voltmeter, put one probe on the L1 terminal at the inverter, and check the voltage at the meter, 0v volts means the wire at the meter is L1, 240volts means the wire is L2. Per the manual the arrows must point to the inverter, which would be away from the meter.

L1 and L2 are based on what terminal the wires are connected to on the inverter. One way to determine this is with a voltmeter, put one probe on the L1 terminal at the inverter, and check the voltage at the meter, 0v volts means the wire at the meter is L1, 240volts means the wire is L2. Per the manual the arrows must point to the inverter, which would be away from the meter.
I’m still confused, right now my inverter is not connected to the grid, I plan on making that connection on Monday.
My meter is at the pole then the wire is buried about 50’ until it comes into the house to the main panel. Is there a way I can check at the panel to find out which leg is which? Then I will know which wire to connect to L1 on my inverter.

If you are connecting the inverter between the meter and breaker panel, mark the left wire as L1 and keep that as L1 all the way through the inverter to the breaker panel and you should be fine.

I’m still confused, right now my inverter is not connected to the grid, I plan on making that connection on Monday.
My meter is at the pole then the wire is buried about 50’ until it comes into the house to the main panel. Is there a way I can check at the panel to find out which leg is which? Then I will know which wire to connect to L1 on my inverter.
Can you make a wiring diagram.

Where are you physically placing your 18kpv and where do you plan on connecting the CTs?

Are you putting the CTs in the meter base?

If you are connecting the inverter between the meter and breaker panel, mark the left wire as L1 and keep that as L1 all the way through the inverter to the breaker panel and you should be fine.
The only problem is, I don’t know which wire is which at the meter because after the meter the wire is buried for about 50’ before it comes to the house. Don’t know one from the other at that point( except the neutral)

Can you make a wiring diagram.

Where are you physically placing your 18kpv and where do you plan on connecting the CTs?

Are you putting the CTs in the meter base?
I plan to put the CTs in the wireway below the inverter. The meter is 50’ from my house

Example is the 18Kpv going to connect to the side of your main panel

Or

will you rewire your main panel so the service feed goes through the 18Kpv before the main panel and the 18kpv load goes to you main panel?

Example is the 18Kpv going to connect to the side of your main panel

Or

will you rewire your main panel so the service feed goes through the 18Kpv before the main panel and the 18kpv load goes to you main panel?
Yes. I’m coming from the meter to my house, added a disconnect as per my local utility, then connect directly to my 18k, then to the main panel. The CTs will be in the wireway below the 18k which is in my garage right next to the main panel.

The only problem is, I don’t know which wire is which at the meter because after the meter the wire is buried for about 50’ before it comes to the house. Don’t know one from the other at that point( except the neutral)
It doesn't matter which is which at the meter, when the power company and electrician build everything, it's just random if wire A or B goes into L1 or L2

All you need to do is choose one and decide. All the inverter knows is that wire X is connected to the L1 terminal. So you need to put the L1 CT on that same wire X

EDIT: ignore this part we posted at about the same time.
Also, because your meter is far away, I assume you're installing the CTs at the main breaker/panel? That's fine, when others same utility meter, just pretend there's 4" of wire to the meter not 50' and put the CTs between the meter and loads.

L1/L2 and direction reverse are non fatal and fixable. These are after all split CTs, easy to flip and move. There are only 4 combinations. right/backwards on CTs (consistent across both), and match/mismatch of L1/L2. 2x2. So if you know how to diagnose the side effects you will get it right worst case after 4 tries. Inverter will not explode it will just export more than expected, etc

You might consider toning it (would require isolating conductors partly, I’m not familiar with this).

Does the inverter have a misconfig detection mode? There is a reverse detection mode on a lot of power meters.

Yes. I’m coming from the meter to my house, added a disconnect as per my local utility, then connect directly to my 18k, then to the main panel. The CTs will be in the wireway below the 18k which is in my garage right next to the main panel.
Are there any loads between the inverter and utility meter? Doesn't sound like it. I'll leave it to the 18kpv experts, but I doubt you need the CTs because all the loads are already going through the inverter.

A picture is worth a thousand words ?

Does the manual express the direction relative to the inverter or the grid? I guess it’s easy to translate it from the English
yes on the 18Kpv the arrows point towards the inverter.

Thanks all for your replies. You’ve been a great help. I hope to have it all hooked up and running Monday. Just needed to clarify the L1 L2 and CT questions.

It doesn't matter which is which at the meter, when the power company and electrician build everything, it's just random if wire A or B goes into L1 or L2

All you need to do is choose one and decide. All the inverter knows is that wire X is connected to the L1 terminal. So you need to put the L1 CT on that same wire X
Exactly, choose one of them to be L1 and carry that through all the way.

Along the lines of caring which one is L1 and which one is L2.

If you end up stacking this inverter you do need to keep it straight, so any conductors you pull in the are where you may add to the stack you should keep the L1/L2 distinct.

Back