diy solar

diy solar

(2) Rich Solar - 800w Kit w/ 40a MPPT

kpreuss77

I am trying to figure out if this will be just fine for me. I know nothing about quality of kits or manufacturers. This will be my first full Solar array, battery, and inverter setup when finished. Starting small with 1600w-2000w off grid system powering garage freezers and backup to other cold storage. 800w Rich Solar Kit

-I currently have a DIY Overkill Solar 24v 100a BMS LifePo4 24v280ah battery (need a box for it)
-I have a Giandel 12v inverter (mistake-it was supposed to be 24v) Need to get 24v.
-I have a LifePo4 24v charger at 10a. (I know, I know-why not get a faster charger-Because I couldn't find one at the time)

~I was going to pair all this with (2) Rich Solar Kits. I want this part of my build to be easy and shipped quickly.
or
~I was also thinking 24v Growatt AIO (after Wills video in Dec and I need an invertor) but then I need to find a fast shipper for panels. this option I have to piece meal my own kit with brackets and wiring. More work

I'm trying to move fast before inflation, shipping issues, inventory, or dumb politics affects us. I just want to play with a small amount of solar, with nice people, and eventually go off grid power. Off grid(48v) will happen after I buy land somewhere, but we just moved 2 months ago so maybe next year.

But I want to move fast with what I can now with my backup 24v system. Remember I consider myself a noob. You will not hurt my feelings if your are direct and to the point.

Kevin

When it comes to panels the issue you run into is that shipping will be about $300, whether you buy one panel or 30. It's cheap for 30, not so great for 1, that's just the way motor freight works and most panels are too big for any other method.

I've bought all my panels (72) from Santan, I've been very happy with them. The last batch of 24 I got were REC 370 watt panels, brand new, and very reasonably priced. Your other option, depending on where you're at, it to look for panels on Craigslist, etc. In my area I see people selling panels there but they're about twice the price I can get them for from Santan, but if you're just lookng at a couple of panels it might be a decent trade off. My advice is to pay now and buy a good number of panels to spread out the freight cost, it doesn't hurt to have extra panels sitting in storage for a while and I doubt they're going to get cheaper, that's what I did.

the Rich Solar on Amazon have free delivery

where do i find other quality components?

I'll look into Santan again as well. might be good to buy a few extra as i wanted to do a solar trailer as well. my trailer mounting surface is slightly larger than 4x8 sheet.

thanks for the response.

I need to get 2 growatts then

Kevin

Wife Approved 2-Rich Solar and a inverter from Amazon

Now, in response to the suggestion, a good suggestion, here are my $3000 dollar options

2040w array * 4 solar hours(I guess) = 8160w system with 3000w inverter

(6) Canadian Panels (SanTan) $146/ea $870+$52 (Mi Tax) + $300 (Freight Shipping)
(1) 24v Growatt - Amazon $883+$53 (Mi Tax) Free shipping
(8) Roof Mounts $85.68 + $5.14 (Mi Tax
Have no clue on the rest of the hardware needed. (figuring it out)

This SanTan plan before the last bit of hardware and wires = $2248.82

Should I order more panels for later or another GroWatt or possibly add more battery storage?

or

1600w array * 4 solar hours (North of Detroit, Mi) = 6400w system with 3000w inverter

(2) 800w Rich Solar Kit $1159/ea $2318+$139.08 (Mi Tax) Free Shipping
(1) 24v 3000w Inverter $449+$26.94(Mi Tax) Free Shipping

This Option = $2933.02

Ok. DIY with SanTan Panels will be ALOT cheaper and offer more power. I have a LifePo4 24v 280ah battery. 6720wh total, and another note, these roof panels will be facing almost due west at 30*-35* Roof Pitch. So maybe less solar hours for me come to think of it.

Kevin

That Growatt at Watts247 is only $712 and everyone here loves Ian.

Going with the 6 panels and an AIO is the better value, even with shipping making a serious dent in the pricing. For added benefit face some SE, some due South, and some SW in a 2p3s config. The VoC on those panels is too high to safely put 3 panels in series.

If you're doing roof mount then you're going to want ALL the watts, and having 3 strings will call for a combiner box, so throw the cost of that into the mix.

You'll have a really healthy supply of solar and a pretty decent supply of inverter. Your racking is going to be another huge chunk of money so the next thing to focus on is the batteries and getting more runtime.

Last edited:
They're only "certified" for 170w because of their age, but the few I've put meter to have been right there about 200. Anywhere between 185 and 205 so far, but I haven't had the sun and time to poke all of them with a meter yet.

9 of those are going to camp come July!

1600w array * 4 solar hours (North of Detroit, Mi)
Here is a setup that sounds a lot like what you are attempting:

1645556673080.png

This is a pic of my new house which comes with strict HOA rules.

The shadow from our neighbors house climbs up halfway onto the side of our house in the middle of winter and will cover have of our patio. The west side of the lot has tall trees. Lots of shade on my property.

It needs to be roof mount. No ground mount. Nothing can go in the front yard either. When I buy 10-20 acres I'll do a ground mount on that property and a 48v system running a small place and geodome greenhouses. --I have a future plan--

Thank you for the advice on Watts247. Ill check them out after work

My new thought:

1) 4 panels facing east then 4 panels facing west. Would that be good in a 2s4p and a combiner box????
2) I would like a 2kw array/8kw system would this be that or probably not???
3) Buy extra panels and add them to my trailer/save a few for future property

1645557858544.png
Blue = Panels on the Roof or Trailer mount
Red = Growatt inside our mud room/Batteries too
Yellow = Fridge in kitchen, 2 freezers in the garage
White = My upstairs office where I play with 3d Printing, milling, tinkering and learning about solar
Black = My really cool basic F150 and 4x8 trailer

Hopefully the Pictures help resolve what I am trying to do and why I am not going all out. This is my small system that will help me: Learn solar, offset some electrical loads/cost, backup for power outage, SHTF, and look really cool. I foresee energy costs going up and Solar paying for itself within a few years

I can't wait for a couple of years, as long as the world doesn't turn to crud, and then buy and build my 48v system.

I like by directional two string panel arrangements or sometimes three string panel arrangements. That can sometimes have benefits. In your case I guess it’s all you can do but it’s a little bit extreme being east and west rather than the south facing still they’ll be some compromises there. South west and south east would be much better but you Gotta do what you Gotta do in your situation. Done
Do they have to be roof mount or house mount? Because at higher latitudes there’s less compromise with vertical panels and you could get some southern exposure but then you’ve got the shadow issue and I don’t know how to figure that out just from the picture but I guess that may not work just spewing out what comes out of my head. Check out that craigslist deal!

1) 4 panels facing east then 4 panels facing west. Would that be good in a 2s4p and a combiner box????
If you got an SCC that accepts 250V max input, you could simplify a bit and configure 4S2P array. But 2S4P not awful (need to fuse each parallel string when 3 or more, before combining).

this is the southern wall.

The highest the shadow gets is 7 fake vinyl shingle overlap thingies or halfway up the house. it is the shadow of the peak of the house next door, so not much on the siding itself even at the bottom.

And the scoop/blower thing on the F150 sketch- top secret. But here's a tease.

On the F150 I'm building "Z" concept that will help with negative inverse reactive current in unilaterall phase detractors and it would be able to automatically syncronize cardinal gram-meters. By placing the scoop on the hood, it replaces power initially generated from conductors and fluxes, to, well, air power.

Air power is of course a magneto inverse detractor of wind generation and can yeild 10x the amount of reactive current. thus the trailer. The trailer will house the large magneto housing for interactants and detractants.

I cant tell you more. The patent hasn't been filed yet. But, lets just say, "Z" concept will be bigger than Bitcoin.

Kevin

Attachments

• 20220222_164215.jpg
    20220222_164215.jpg
    420.7 KB · Views: 4
this is the southern wall.
In northern latitudes you might get more out of them vertically mounted in summer than on the roof. In winter you will definitely get more out of them vertically than mounted on that shallow roof.

If the power hungry hoa peeps permit permanently placing panels on that southern wall I’d be inclined to favor a perpendicular wall placement as much more preferable to the 5-pitch plane of the E-W preponderance of the roof.

(I’d still do two or three strings)

Generac installed 15 panels on the west side roof(like mine) of my next door neighbors house. I do not know what wattage panel.

I'm sure they had to do a calculation of some sort. i believe they were installed last fall, Oct-Nov timeframe. We moved in mid Jan and have been sick ever since so we havent met our neighbors yet.

found a lat and long calculator but cant make heads or tails of it.

solar chart-I think

i have heard of laying panels flat but not verticle

are you saying
1---
install panels west on roof angle
vs
install panels verticle(up and down) on the side of the house

or

2---
install panels on roof in landscape orientation
vs
install panels on roof in portrait orientation

k

are you saying
1---
install panels west on roof angle
vs
install panels verticle(up and down) on the side of the house
Vertically for year-round use at higher latitudes is usually better sun angle average than flat on a 4- or 5-pitch roof. Def better winter, and VS full-on E-W probably still better summers imho
have heard of laying panels flat but not verticle
its just a 90* angle instead of 55 or whatever. Vertically also doesn’t accumulate snow.

Back