diy solar

diy solar

This, or that, or wait, maybe that?

"Tack tack tack" is what my dad used to tell my mom when she described what she wanted and said it was easy. She had once said 'a little tack tack tack and it is done'....

Battery building is 'tack tack tack', but the difference is the time learning to do it right.

But, I agree unless your end goal is building large scale batteries it is best to buy pre-made batteries.

You didn't answer my question, and 3-6 months is much more no matter how you slice it. Why do you want to minimize it or call it easy when it's not easy for the vast majority of the population?

But anyway, the OP can do whatever he wants, I've made my point. Good luck OP!
Took me less than a month from when I ordered the parts to getting it working with my inverter. I only had time to play on weekends, and I took it slowly (measure twice, cut once). I would have spent at least 2 weeks installing a COTS battery (wire, fuses, switches, initial charge, building the rack to hold the battery, etc). Also integrated a generator and chargeverter during that month.

If you can install panels yourself, wire an inverter into the house yourself, it doesn't take much more to build a battery yourself.

Last edited:
DIY an 8 cell 24v lifepo4 battery. Get an 8-17 or 8-24 bms. You can buy more cells later to grow to 48v.
Except mixing used cells and new cells might be a recipe for disaster (or at least suboptimal functioning)

Except mixing used cells and new cells might be a recipe for disaster (or at least suboptimal functioning)
Sub optimal 16 cell 48v, or throw away 8 cells? Even if you get 90% of the use of the additional 8 new cells, it is cheaper than buying 16 new.

Outback is high quality on and off-grid components. But expensive.

Buy a flexmax charge controller. The 60 and 80 versions are 12v to 48v. The 100 is 24v-48v. Buy that to charge your battery.

The FlexMax 60/80 are limited to 150 VOC, so the FlexMax 100 with 300 VOC is certainly a better choice.

The FlexMax 100 quite pricy for a single input MPPT solar inverter (See powerstore.com)

However the FlexMax 100 is AFCI detection compliant and provides Rapid Shutdown control (2017 NEC 690.12).

diy solar

diy solar
Back