diy solar

diy solar

2 - Shipping Containers and Solar

Grabcon

Not sure if this is the right spot but here it is.

I am in the planning stages of bringing in 2 - 20 foot shipping containers to my property. One will be for storage with lights and a couple of outlets. The second will be for a small wood shop, most likely the largest load will be some type of woodworking tool and a small dust collection system operating at the same time.

I have room to put in as much as 6 to 8kw of solar if needed. Initially 2 to 4kw. Because of the distance to my breaker box on the house, how full the breaker box is and the existing grid tie solar my intention is to keep the containers in an off grid scenario. Plus it is a nice little project.

I have not decided how far apart the containers will be. They could just be side by side. Or up to 20 feet apart. The initial thought would be to put all solar related equipment in the storage unit. This would be the the inverter, batteries, main breaker box, etc. Then run the wire and have a sub panel in the workshop container. My purpose for doing it this way is to keep all solar related equipment free of dust and other debris from the wood shop.

I have built 3 -12 volt solar systems for a RV vehicles, two 30 amp and one 50 amp systems, so I have the basics of how things work and tie together, but they are a different environment that a fixed off grid environment. I am thinking of running 48 volt battery(s).

I don’t have all wood working equipment at this time so I don’t have a total load requirement so sizing is up in the air at the moment. But what I need help with is what type of inverter equipment I should use. An all in one would be nice, but I am unfamiliar with that type at this point in the planning.

At this time I only have a few tools mostly hand power tools, I have not bought containers, big power tools or solar equipment. I do however have a large C-Band satellite dish that I would like to repurpose as a tracking solar panel system.

Keep in mind that the containers are 8’ x 20’ so there will not be a lot of larger equipment. If anyone has a good workshop layout that would also be helpful.

Any thoughts on type of solar equipment I should look at, size would be good even though I don’t have a total load at this time. I am sure those that have built shops can provide a reasonable solution.

This is a suprisingly easy project believe it or not. Here's a few thoughts:

Solar panels, go BIG! The more battery capacity and charging ability, the better. A famous man once said "Wow, I have too much solar and power capacity." - Nobody Ever

Look at the EG4 6kw Low Frequency AIO's. That gets you 240v power and the really good surge ability to feed the startup oomph that table saws and vacuums need to get up and running. In the event you need more than 30a on each leg you can stack another unit in there.

Putting all the parts in a container seperate from the shop is a great idea. You'll have to plan insulation and ventilation to keep your batteries and such comfy.

Trenching between the containers and putting a sub panel in the shop is easy and versatile.

Go ahead and run through the power audit a few times, go for the moon! Table saw, dust collector, band saw, MargaritaMaster-9000, whatever you want! "I have too much battery capacity" - Nobody Ever

While you're planning all your connections and conduit, plan to mount in a socket to connect a generator so you can recharge when you get too many days of krappy weather.

Basically, wire everything as if it were a completely seperate house, so grounding rods/plates, panels, step up the wire guage while you're in there. Figure 12awg and 20a outlets, and lighting on a seperate circuit so you can turn on the lights when you're working on an outlet and vise versa. Up sizing your wire at the beginning saves you re-running later.

Last edited:
Thanks much for the input. The EG4 looks reasonable priced. This gives me a starting point. Now the budget and design. Like you said it doesn’t seem to difficult.

Not difficult, just time consuming. Take your time, double check everything, once you have a design and parts list run it past us for double check on things like wire size, fuse sizes, etc.

Thanks much for the input. The EG4 looks reasonable priced. This gives me a starting point. Now the budget and design. Like you said it doesn’t seem to difficult.

Just factor in the idle draw of the inverter as a load. It's going to burn about 85W 24/7 just providing AC power even if there are no loads. You need to size the array and battery accordingly.

That's 2.04kWh - 40% of a $1500 rack battery and at least 400-500W more solar.

Just factor in the idle draw of the inverter as a load. It's going to burn about 85W 24/7 just providing AC power even if there are no loads. You need to size the array and battery accordingly.
Thanks, I saw that Will mentioned that in his video review of this product. But like he says solar panels are cheap. Living in Arizona there are plenty of new and used outlets for solar panels.

Thanks, I saw that Will mentioned that in his video review of this product. But like he says solar panels are cheap.

Batteries aren't. You need to treat the idle draw of the inverters as you would any other load. It goes to the total daily energy requirement.

Living in Arizona there are plenty of new and used outlets for solar panels.

Yep. Got 10kW of PV from Santan for about $2700.

Back