diy solar

diy solar

2 x 200amp panels but only 200amp meter (not 400 or 320amp)?

If voltage-output CT, get four 200A (or higher) CT.
Install around L1 and L2 of each box.

Read label - is it something like 300 mV for 200A? Or does it output current?
If voltage, I think you can just splice the two L1 CT in series and the two L2 in series. That would put out 600 mV for 400A.
But maybe that is too much for whatever amplifier gain stage.

So probably just connect in parallel. (either way, get polarity correct.) I think it will then read 300 mV for 400A.

If it is current output not voltage, in parallel would deliver twice the current for twice the utility current.
Maybe four 400A CT would be the way to go. Two, 400A current-output CT in parallel each carrying 200A should give same reading as one 400A CT carrying 400A.

See if you can read the labels/specs of the CT before buying and using them.

If voltage-output CT, get four 200A (or higher) CT.
Install around L1 and L2 of each box.

Read label - is it something like 300 mV for 200A? Or does it output current?
If voltage, I think you can just splice the two L1 CT in series and the two L2 in series. That would put out 600 mV for 400A.
But maybe that is too much for whatever amplifier gain stage.

So probably just connect in parallel. (either way, get polarity correct.) I think it will then read 300 mV for 400A.

If it is current output not voltage, in parallel would deliver twice the current for twice the utility current.
Maybe four 400A CT would be the way to go. Two, 400A current-output CT in parallel each carrying 200A should give same reading as one 400A CT carrying 400A.

See if you can read the labels/specs of the CT before buying and using them.
I have a lot to learn!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230413-212800_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230413-212800_Chrome.jpg
    195 KB · Views: 5
And I have to think through more carefully.

Your picture is 400A, 0.333V
I have some that are 100A, 0.333V.
Let's assume most equipment is designed for 0.333V full scale.

If you put 400A CT around one 200A cable, it would read 0.167
Another, would read the same.
Two in parallel, would read the same.

Put the two 400A CT in series, 200A through each, and it will read 0.333 for 400A total, which is what you want.

Wired in series, each CT with load resistor produces voltage in proportion, and they add.

Your CT picture said "Solar Edge" and showed 333mV for 400A
It has some turns ratio to produce current, and a load resistor to convert that to voltage.
Not a "current" output, rather voltage. Which also keeps you from grabbing an open-circuit CT.

EG4 6500EX is 120V, and the two are always 180 degrees apart for 120/240V split-phase?
In that configuration, I split the ground and neutral wires to two inverters, rather than running extra wires the entire length. Because currents will only subtract, not add.

I also used same neutral and ground for AC input and AC output. For my inverter, those are same net; neutral is not switched. In my case, those were in same conduit, not separate for the last 2' as yours appear to be.

Where will you route the data cables? It looks like they would go through conduit and wiring box where AC and PV also are, but data doesn't have same rating of insulation. Of course, in bottom of inverter that is also the case. SMA provides a silicone tube for data cables, so even if the wire gets shorted to something else at the end and melts, it is contained.
Wired in series, each CT with load resistor produces voltage in proportion, and they add.

Your CT picture said "Solar Edge" and showed 333mV for 400A
It has some turns ratio to produce current, and a load resistor to convert that to voltage.
Not a "current" output, rather voltage. Which also keeps you from grabbing an open-circuit CT.
When you split your ground and neutral what are you using?

Split bolts.
Polaris would be another option.

I had run wires to/from sub panel and main panel through a 2" Tee, and from that run Teed off again two two pairs of inverters, then to individual inverters.
I was reaching conduit fill limits in one section, which was the main reason I did splices.
I used split bolts on 6 awg wires in conduit Tee, and wrapped with rubber tape followed by vinyl.
There is zero volts between those splices and conduit, but didn't want neutral to contact ground, keep return currents in neutral.

42467604.jpg

As a followup, I ended up just getting Iotawatt, and I purchased two extra 200 amp CT clamps. I plugged them into four of the inputs of the Iotawatt which provides me with the ability to monitor the 2 x 200 amp main electrical panels.

diy solar

diy solar
Back