diy solar

diy solar

Need some wisdom for a practical way to power a Fronius Smart meter

mwk1000

So my setup: I have a Sol-Ark 15K and have done the full home backup route... So I installed a 200AMP fused disconnect ( ebay special Square-D monster 3 phase for 160$ w/fuses ) That went well and I have 4/0 AL into and out of the disconnect into the 15K Grid terminals ( SEU AL 4/0 - that was fun ). I have SER 4/0 on the load out to the main 200Amp panel. So far so good main panel has the identical wire inputs (4/0 AL ).

My nagging PITA is bringing in the PV from my pole barn - I am set on AC coupled I think have a good plan ( the efficency loss I will eat since I have oversized the array ) and the off-grid operation I am planning to improve the performance ( lower the risk ) of excess array production by adding the fronius smart meter, This is a Modbus controlled output regulation much faster that frequency shifting the 15K gen inputs... Though I will still leave some Battery "head space" for a dryer or AC unit shutting off so if the 15K is overloaded it has a place to send it for now ... I have a 1500 gal water tank for heating my home so at some point dumping excess watts thier would be ideal. ( that is another day another story - a good one )

So the smart meter ... Needs line input ( included a diagram ) but I am stuck at the best way to provide it line power. Ideally I do not want it dependant on the 15K to operate ! BUT since I will have my whole house on the 15K I am trying to figure out a PRACTICAL way to power the damn meter!

So I am looking at a line tap off the load side of the 200amp disconnect 10' rules to fees a 6-10 amp max circuit breaker to feed the smartmeter... So 10% amps is 20 amps on a 200 amp feed , attached to a 7 amp 240v din breaker I can feed my meter BEFORE the 15K so it is independant of the Sok-Ark working or dead my PV arrays NEVER feed the grid.

BUT - WTF do I use to take a 12AWG feed off a 4/0 aluminum barrel connector that is not stupid expensive ??? I will be to code , I believe, in all respects but this detail has me "concerned" :)

Why - I would like to as a last resort be able to feed my main panel from the Fronius ( a subpanel that allows me to manually switch from the 15K gen input to the main panel by passing the 15K... for redundancy.

Does it matter ? Can I just use a 240V/10 amp of my main panel ( through the 15K ) ??? I am looking for some experiance here to get a simple ( inexpensive ) solution. But if is - is what it is - so be it.

Thx
Mark

Other system info. I found a DC !! generator at auction that is pretty awseome "polar power" that will produce 270 amps @ 1.2 ish gal/hr that is built beatifully designed for very long term comercial service so my plan is to set the voltage to kick in when the 15K has no sun and it will charge the batteries to full in less than 2 hrs. This frees up the gen port for AC coupling and leaves a reliable gen backup thru strait DC to batteries.

The Sol-Ark has 2x280AH LiFePo4 attached that are DIY for 560AH or battery backup

Attachments

• SmartMeter.PNG
    SmartMeter.PNG
    83.7 KB · Views: 4
  • polar-7.jpg
    polar-7.jpg
    204 KB · Views: 4
Back