diy solar

diy solar

20 amp controller vs 10 amp Furrion inlet port for camper RV

Sloopy

Thank you for letting me join. I am setting up a Renogy kit for my 1958 Shasta Airflyte camper - which is 2 100 watt monocrystal panels and a 20 amp mppt controller. The details are in the listing photo below. The panels will NOT be hard mounted to my camper. I have already completely rewired the camper with a 12v system and have the battery (will expand to 2 batteries in time), all that previous work was done with solar in mind and I feel good about getting it hooked up, like I (mostly) know what I am doing.

My big question though is this: Clearly a 65 year old camper does not have a solar inlet port to plug the solar panels in to, so I want to install one. I see the Furrion ports at 10 amp, 30 amp, etc. What size of an inlet port does a 20amp solar controller require? Is 10 amp sufficient?

If it matters, clearly the little old girl won't have massive electrical needs, just keeping the lights on and keeping things like the phone or bluetooth radio speaker charged at camp, or, should there be a power outage at home it could keep the flash lights charged, etc. like that. At this time I do not plan to install an inverter.

Thank you for your help.

Attachments

• 58 shasta 2.PNG
    58 shasta 2.PNG
    908.9 KB · Views: 7
  • solar panel set amazon listing.PNG
    solar panel set amazon listing.PNG
    290.5 KB · Views: 7
  • furion inlet port example.PNG
    furion inlet port example.PNG
    138.3 KB · Views: 7
A 20 amp SCC is rated for the output to the battery, so the input from the panels will be less.

I use these Anderson Powerpole Connectors. I would mount my panels to the RV with this wall mount if I didn't have a way to bring the whole cable through the wall.
Hello, I appreciate your response . Are you saying that with a 10 amp connector going to my 20 amp controller i would get less charge to my battery? If so, what size amp connection should I be looking for? This is the battery I have:

WEIZE 12V 100Ah AGM Battery, Maintenance-Free Group 31 Deep Cycle Battery Perfect for RV, Solar, Camping,Cabin,Marine and Off-Grid System​

Regarding the link you sent, thank you. I have MC4 connectors; I can find MC4-to-Furrion adapters, but what would this one be called? MC4-to-??? to make that jump?

I have MC4 connectors; I can find MC4-to-Furrion adapters, but what would this one be called? MC4-to-??? to make that jump?
When I have different connectors, I make a cable and put one type of connector on one end and the other type on the other end. Most recently, I made a 15' cable with 10 AWG wire with MC4 on one end and Anderson Powerpole on the other end. I use this tool to crimp both the MC4 and Powerpoles.
Are you saying that with a 10 amp connector going to my 20 amp controller i would get less charge to my battery? If so, what size amp connection should I be looking for?
It would be the same wattage in and out, just a different amperage.

8 amps at 24 volts into the SCC = 16 amps 12 volts to the batteries. I think the way you have it wired, the Furion adapter goes into the SCC. You would only need to be sized for the amount going through the cable.

If you use the Furrion get the 30 amp , allows you to up grade. My experience with rv's is 120 watts solar per 100 aH of battery bank with the exception being in the desert SW.

A 20 amp SCC is rated for the output to the battery, so the input from the panels will be less.

I use these Anderson Powerpole Connectors. I would mount my panels to the RV with this wall mount if I didn't have a way to bring the whole cable through the wall.
It's me again and I did a little home work. I see that there is an MC4 connector for this, yea! But the descriptions start talking about different amp this and that.

"High output capacity of up to 45A on each Powerpole. Includes (2) 30A contacts for 12-14 AWG wire." Powerwerx Panel Pole

and the adapter states, "Standard Anderson Powerpole connector configuration and mates with PP15/30/45." MC4 - to - Powerwerx Panel

Am I making too much of this? Do I really just need these two parts to create the quick-connect on my exterior side that I want?

Of the Furrion systems I can only seem to find the 10amp then it jumps up to 50 amp.
Thanks again for your time.

If you use the Furrion get the 30 amp , allows you to up grade. My experience with rv's is 120 watts solar per 100 aH of battery bank with the exception being in the desert SW.
Thank you, I appreciate that information and I would if I could. I just cannot find a 30 amp for sale anywhere! I've been google searching for two days.

High output capacity of up to 45A on each Powerpole. Includes (2) 30A contacts for 12-14 AWG wire." Powerwerx Panel Pole
With this part, I would put this on the trailer and just run a wire to the SCC input. 12 AWG wire is good for 25 amps, which is way more than your panels would put out.

To make the actual cable itself, I’d buy the length of 12 AWG wire I need, and put Anderson Powerpoles on one end tri mate with the Powerx adapter on the trailer, and put MC4 on the end that mates with the panel.

Here’s a video that a member made about crimping MC4.
And Here’s a video on criming MC4.

I used MC4 bulkhead. Also considering XT90 panel mount.
MC4 panel mount with connectors note: The one I used is no longer available.
XT90 Panel Mount High current gold platted contacts. It has a weather seal plug.
In all cases Be Safe. Wet connectors can be shocking. MC4 is much safer than the power poll. It's not just the waterproofing, it's that the wires are not bundled side by side.
MC4 notes: They are meant to be Connect and Forget. Expect some maintenance. Insertion and removal cycles broke the plastic latches on one. Cheap Bouge RV MC4 kit male pins failed to stay locked in and were pushed down the plastic barrel for a poor connection. A little epoxy fixed that. The solar panels MC4 were trouble free. MC4 has accessories like 2 to 1 splitters, fuse holders, combiner boxes, etc...

Last edited:
Back