diy solar

diy solar

200ah LifeP04 with a 100a BMS?

Rocksnsalt

Solar Enthusiast
Other than price and profit, is there a reason an Ampere Time 200ah LifeP04 battery would only have a 100a BMS?

Amps (what the BMS is rated for) and Amp-hours (what the battery capacity is measured in) are different things. There is no reason they need to match.

Its akin to to comparing miles per hour and miles per gallon or something (its a poor analogy, but the point is, they sound similar but aren't very different).

Amp-hours is a unit of capacity/stored energy (sorta). Amps are a unit of current (current is sort of like an electrical flow rate).

The battery is rated for what it stores/what it can deliver, the BMS is rated for how much current it can handle passing through it. There is no reason they need to be the same value. Often a BMS will be sized relative to either the max or standard discharge parameters of the cells used in the battery, but often this will not be the deciding factor. That said, you are right that the main reason a manufacturer or individual would use a smaller BMS is to save money, I can't think of any other reasons, other than possibly to meet cycle life specs.

does this help answer your questions or did I misinterpret your line of questioning?

Got it,
One is supply, the other is regulated maximum draw.
Analogy in my mind would be fuel tank supply vs fuel regulator and use.
Seems obvious to me now.
Doh! ??‍♂️
Thanks

Got it,
One is supply, the other is regulated maximum draw.
Analogy in my mind would be fuel tank supply vs fuel regulator and use.
Seems obvious to me now.
Doh! ??‍♂️
Thanks
Yes, I think you mostly understand the distinction. The only clarifying point I would make is that apart from some high end BMSes ($500+) that can communicate with chargers & external control devices, the BMS doesn't actually regulate anything, if what you mean is control current. The current limit is just that, a limit, . The BMS can either allow current to pass, or not. It doesn't limit it to 100A it just protects itself/opens the circuit if 100A is exceeded. Maybe this is something you already understand, but I just wanted to make sure, since often 'regulate' implies some finer control than just on/off open/close

diy solar

diy solar
Back