diy solar

diy solar

208v 60hz 3p inverter

SeaCove

Has anybody set up 3p systems to drive ~5hp pumps? Are there any 3p inverters other than VFD's?
If I go the VFD option I need ~300VDC battery
This is an off grid installation that is currently powered by generator alone. Goal is to reduce generator hours during the summer months.

I know there's some solar "pump controllers" which are literally reprogrammed VFD's that just take the 300-400vdc directly from panels coded with an MPPT algorithm.

Now if you need to run it without sun then yes, you will need a way to store the energy therefore a battery, but I PRESUME those solar VFD's work sort of like the solar pool pumps which just work when they have enough power to even pump a little bit and when there's no sun just stop trying. You'd probably just need the 300-400v of solar, which at 5hp you would need something like 7-10kw of panels to be able to run full tilt, in perfect conditions.

But yeah 5hp is a huge pump, I wasn't able to find any 'comercially' available inverters, but on Alibaba there's quite a handful of ones that seem to fit the bill. Something like https://www.alibaba.com/product-det...1600091603730.html?mark=google_shopping&seo=1
Would work, as long as you don't mind having no pump during night and a very variable pump speed, as you'll only really get 5hp worth out of the pump when the panels are perfectly aligned and theres no clouds.

All you really need are three single phase transformer inverters, arranged to run with a 120 degree phase difference.
Then it could all run from a much lower battery voltage.

bwinzey, warpspeed,
Thanks for the tips,
Right now leaning towards the 3 inverter topology, the LV6548 looks very interesting as it supports up to 250VOC PV strings. Alternate may be the Quattro series with standalone MPPT CC's

Back