diy solar

diy solar

24 Inch Studs

justinb107

Hi All

I just got my EG4 18K Bundle with 3 indoor batteries and wire boxes. I have run into an issue I am not too sure how to solve. I have come to find that my wall studs are 24" apart, instead of the usual 16". I plan to have my batteries on the floor, with just the wall bracket as support, however my concern comes to mounting the 18k to the wall.

Would skrewing a couple of pieces of 1/2" plywood together and then secure that to the studs be enough to then mount the 18k to the plywood or would I need to open the wall and add studs 16" apart? The last thing I want is the 18k falling to bits in my garage.

I use 2x8 boards to mount my inverters. I hit the studs mounting the wood to the wall and then I have infinite spots for the inverters to bolt too.

So two boards that span the width I might ever need mounting wise making mounting the inverters easy.

Great! So 1 board of 2x8 accross the studs would do the trick for the inverter without having it fall to pieces? What lag bolts do you use to mount it to the studs? As for mounting the inverter, what did you use for that? Just want to make sure I am not missing anything...

Inverters usually come with a cleat or other mounting board. Did you watch a mounting install video? This is sort of a pretty mechanical thing where a video is great. Wiring, not so much.

Also look into GRK, powerlags, or other fancy space age self drilling lag bolt replacements

Lag bolts are for boomers (but they do work)

Thanx. I have watched quite a few installation videos + tons of research, just have not found someone who has run into the same issue as I have and how to solve it correctly.
Dexter used strut railed in his MidNite ONE instal video from two weeks ago, which is a little different

What I meant was that the cleat mounting itself should be readily available as a video. And you can extrapolate from this to either in wall blocking, strut, or 2x lumber above the wall.

This will also impact how you do things that need to line up. Like wire ways and batteries.

2 screws/lags is about all you're going to get in a 2x4. You can get 3 in a 2x6. If you can span 3 (or more) of the studs with the 2x6. It will put the load on 3 then instead of 2.

Why 2x6 vs 2x4? More room for error? Can respect the spacing to lumber edge in powerlags etc more easily with a x6?
100%. Three (3) 3-3.25" universal screws on each side. 18Kpv is HEAVY, (of course so is a cabinet full of dishes), You could go 2x4 at the bottom, but WTF, you just blew the wad on the overpriced 2x6.

You can also run your own steel across the span.

I used 2x8's because I had a bunch left over from the repair that was done to the garage when the tree fell on it. 2x6's would probably work just fine. 2x4's I wouldn't use on the top board.

100%. Three (3) 3-3.25" universal screws on each side. 18Kpv is HEAVY, (of course so is a cabinet full of dishes), You could go 2x4 at the bottom, but WTF, you just blew the wad on the overpriced 2x6.

You can also run your own steel across the span.
Hmm good point. I think the last time I looked carefully at respecting the specs (for blocking and reinforcing some joists) I found that you are hard pressed to get two screws into the 3.5” width of a 2x4

diy solar

diy solar
Back