diy solar

diy solar

Is it good idea to use Plywood Sheet for mounting Inverter, MPPT and Breakers etc

Mohsin Ali

Hello everyoneIs
I am planning to design off grid solar system for my house but I dont want to mount Mppt , Inverters etc on wall as I am living on rent and my landlord will not allow me to drill so much holes into the wall so is it a good idea to use Plywood Sheet for mounting Inverter, MPPT and Breakers etc if I have to keep it inside my house? (as wood can catch fire ) . Also how much thick plywood sheet be used? I have purchased all equipments and also trying to figure out there layout (picture attached

Attachments

• IMG_20240221_215104680.jpg
    IMG_20240221_215104680.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 25
Best practice would be to mount on a non-combustable surface. Drywall, hardee plank or aluminum plate are all good options.

It wouldn't be light, but I'd say 3/4" inch plywood or even 1" of plywood with a layer of cement board on top. The cement board can be found in the tile area of home improvement stores. I think it comes in 3'x5' sheets.

I have done this for a small install in a shed/garage - the heat you would need to catch plywood on fire (100C +) is already an emergency situation anyway. If you're worried you can coat it in something fireproof.

I have 10mm marine plywood sheets, on which I have mounted the solar combiner, charge controller and other equipment (RS485, breakers, LED lights, etc.). As the main components are all just metal boxes, anything on them that would overheat enough to heat the wood is in serious trouble anyway.

Plus, start small and you can always change later.

My batteries and 3000W inverter are elsewhere, because they could potentially have bigger problems (and I won't have them in the house), but for the most part, the charge controllers and general equipment would be fine on those for a small (and temporary) installation.

Code for indoor battery closets is 5/8 type X gypsum (fire rated drywall). Walls and ceiling. 1/2 plywood behind that where you want equipment and you are good to go.

Not saying the other options posted are unsafe, just pointing out what code requires (for batteries, but a pretty good indication of what they expect not to catch fire and to be able to contain fire until you get out and/or help arrives I suppose).

Cement walls.
I got 3cm baltic birch plywood covered in fire retardant paint and 1.5mm steel plates behind each inverter.
I need the plywood to be able to screw into (no studs).

More than enough.

Cement walls.
I got 3cm baltic birch plywood covered in fire retardant paint and 1.5mm steel plates behind each inverter.
I need the plywood to be able to screw into (no studs).

More than enough.
But if Cement wall is not an option available then? Any alternate like Aluminium etc

Drywall is code for most jurisdictions. double 5/8 in between apt. etc. Can be bought in scrap pieces also. There is usually some one giving away free cutoffs etc if you are trying to budget build. Easy to work with. Oftentimes plywood or other material such as 2x4 etc is put behind the drywall as backers for handrails , anything heavy that drywall might not hold on its own...

Hello everyoneIs
I am planning to design off grid solar system for my house but I dont want to mount Mppt , Inverters etc on wall as I am living on rent and my landlord will not allow me to drill so much holes into the wall so is it a good idea to use Plywood Sheet for mounting Inverter, MPPT and Breakers etc if I have to keep it inside my house? (as wood can catch fire ) . Also how much thick plywood sheet be used? I have purchased all equipments and also trying to figure out there layout (picture attached
Here it is recommended to fit a sheet of cement fiber board over any timber backing sheet, if that is done, then yes, perfectly acceptable and totally legal here...
1708770142793.png

Back