diy solar

diy solar

Why is solar so damn difficult?

I've found the lutron casetta stuff to be very reliable.(although not looking forward to the day I need to replace the batteries in all the remotes)
Oh yeah. Battery replacement lol. But that's every 10 years though -so they say.

I'm in the same boat. I've got a bunch of Bluetooth temperature and humidity sensors around the house and I have to change the batteries every 2 years. No fun

You are comparing a task to an industry...

BELIEVE ME... "electrician" covers a LOT more than wiring a house...

SOLAR could never be "easy" understanding solar panel specs should be fairly easy...
Understanding wiring a main breaker panel should be fairly easy.

If you try to understand EVERYTHING about an industry... you are going to be quite inundated.

No race car engineer would say the task is easy...
It ain't the same as building an engine... it is understanding center of gravity, vehicle weight distribution, air pressure, fuel density management, altitude, tire composition, track conditions, clutch mechanism materials and disintegration management, track rule comprehension, speed aerodynamics, downforce, bolt loading and stretch, material fatigue and SOOOOOOOO MANY more factors I assure you, SOLAR comprehension for a residence would be child's play.

I have worked in HVAC for 40 years... I was trained by my grandfather who started in 1946, and my father who took over the company in 84... to say I have experience in HVAC is an understatement... I dont know 20% I'd guess of the ENTIRE field. I learn more every day.
I have always worked with electrical... my skills with it qualified me to add electrical licensing to the company. I have finally gained the full unlimited license after going through special electrical license requirements for hvac fields, bumping that to limited electrical then finally unlimited over the decades...
I could wire a house to code in my sleep... bit there are so many aspects to the code, KNOWING even RESIDENTIAL electrical is mind boggling difficult.

Afci, gfci, grounding, bonding, ocp, fuses, ampacity, derating, conduit, wire fill, wire types, box design, panelboards, I could go on and on about what I do know... but BELIEVE ME, it is ALL difficult outside the basics.

You can understand a part of any industry... you could easily comprehend the needs of say a solar generator, and the specs of charging and using that.

Bump that up to the solar needs of powering completely everything a modern home with a fully loaded 200A panel house? Yeah... there is indeed a lot to learn. And a lot of pitfalls that experience gets you understanding.
We have an almost fully loaded 200amp panel for our all electric manufactured home. I have reduced our energy use by almost half. We even have to 25 amp breakers open for use. After I started researching solar for our house and spending time on this forum I learned a few things. First decrease load. Still working on that. Second buy quality equipment. We now have ready to install an Outback 8048A prewired system with 2 fm80 sec and the controller. Working on panels and will probably have an electrician do the electrical connection to the house. I have tried to talk to others about decreasing their electrical needs. Most are looking at the short term cost and not what it will save them in the long run.

We have an almost fully loaded 200amp panel for our all electric manufactured home. I have reduced our energy use by almost half. We even have to 25 amp breakers open for use. After I started researching solar for our house and spending time on this forum I learned a few things. First decrease load. Still working on that. Second buy quality equipment. We now have ready to install an Outback 8048A prewired system with 2 fm80 sec and the controller. Working on panels and will probably have an electrician do the electrical connection to the house. I have tried to talk to others about decreasing their electrical needs. Most are looking at the short term cost and not what it will save them in the long run.
i agree with this. But I dont think extra insulation is the key(that's what everyone defaults to)

I have found solar a great learning experience. It is overwhelming in its entirety, but as with many complicated things in life if you break it down to simple elements it is easier to understand those elements. Then the big picture emerges.
yes. Ive found the large parts are easier than the small parts. Ive got inverters, panels, batteries, and about to buy charge controller.
but, all the disconnects and breakers and making sure its to code. and the conduit type, and what must be in conduit, and how to transition from pv wire to thwn- and grounding everything - thats the part im struggling with now.

I guess I should look into the mike holt reference that @EJansen mentioned

i agree with this. But I dont think extra insulation is the key(that's what everyone defaults to)
it’s hard to do extra insulation on a manufactured home without taking all the siding off. Not happening. I added a Micro air easy start to my non inverter heat pump. That dropped our energy use by about a third. I went to a on demand hot water heater which dropped it even more. I am in the process of changing out the 5 bulb fluorescent light fixtures in our garage to leds. We like to sleep cold so most of the time we don’t have heat or ac on. I am having two doors replaced as they are each about 1/2 inch too small for the space allowing outside air into our garage then house. We bought a 2 burner induction cooktop to try out and are extremely pleased with it. Many ways to improve on a houses energy demands. Trying to convince the better half to let me put a wood burning cook stove in the living room. :)

yes. Ive found the large parts are easier than the small parts. Ive got inverters, panels, batteries, and about to buy charge controller.
but, all the disconnects and breakers and making sure its to code. and the conduit type, and what must be in conduit, and how to transition from pv wire to thwn- and grounding everything - thats the part im struggling with now.

I guess I should look into the mike holt reference that @EJansen mentioned
There's also the excellent guide to wiring, from victron, which is worth a read...

has nice pictures and diagrams in it too

I'm no stranger to learning and diy. I built the house I'm living in with my two hands and it took a lot of planning and research - framing, electrical, HVAC , drywall, septic etc.
That was childs play compared to solar. No wonder the unsuspecting public easily falls prey to solar salespeople who are ,truly, the scum of the earth. they stand no chance. But I digress.
Solar has been the hardest thing I've ever had to learn about

Why am I even doing solar again? ??
The irony of YOUR post, is I could write almost the exact same thing...down to being the CONTRACTOR on my own house build...with my hands on nearly every trade...etc.

And your comment about it being the hardest thing I have ever learned...is spot on also...and my sentiment exactly.

But strangely, the intense satisfaction of nearly 100% of expected Solar Output last Monday, culminating 4+ months (and a 10+ year goal/dream) is somehow more satisfying than anything else.

I will say though, I had to back off my original goal, broke up the project in to phases. Instead of solarizing the WHOLE house, I started with the small project of solarizing the barn and work areas. The entire project became a lot easier for me to manage and accomplish.

Keep the dream alive!!

Attachments

• IMG_3338.JPEG
    IMG_3338.JPEG
    1.8 MB · Views: 8
I went the exact opposite direction.
I have always made sure to turn off things that weren't being used. To keep the utility bill down.
I'm building a large enough system to get back my freedom. I want to do whatever I want, whenever I want. And not be concerned about it, at all.

Solar is a Trade.

All Trades are 5 years to Journeymen while working under an an apprentice.

...First decrease load. Still working on that.

You didn't mention if you were on-grid or off-grid, but I might assume you're on-grid?

If you are on-grid (or anyone in that camp), I might suggest trying like a few-days drill (perhaps even in the various seasons), where you voluntarily turn off the grid power for some specified time window and maybe the drill can help to better understand about budgeting power/energy in more efficient ways.

When I got into solar, I started out off-grid, so it was a lesson for me right out of the gates, about my power usage from the beginning (especially when I was more lacking in KWh capability).

Now after living like this for 2+ years, the awareness is more like second nature. I'm still not at my fully planned power capability yet (with my big 48v system), as I am running only a 2800w 120v inverter and a 22KWh battery bank, with 3000w of solar, so I still have to watch how I use loads, and require generator to run large things like the welder or air compressor.

Of course I am by myself right now, with my family not out here yet, so that is a whole nother story about having to teach other family about it too when they come out. From what I understand kids are the hardest to get power consumption within bounds.

And since I have not built my actual house yet, all of this awareness about power consumption, also goes into how to better design a passive style home which can operate at a lower power consumption, so it's all interconnected.

I guess many older houses can be retrofitted to incorporate many of the passive home strategies (except for core items like home orientation to South, and such examples like that)...

Perhaps if you did a drill like that, maybe your better half would finally give the go-ahead on that wood burning cook stove in the living room faster hehe...

You didn't mention if you were on-grid or off-grid, but I might assume you're on-grid?

If you are on-grid (or anyone in that camp), I might suggest trying like a few-days drill (perhaps even in the various seasons), where you voluntarily turn off the grid power for some specified time window and maybe the drill can help to better understand about budgeting power/energy in more efficient ways.

When I got into solar, I started out off-grid, so it was a lesson for me right out of the gates, about my power usage from the beginning (especially when I was more lacking in KWh capability).

Now after living like this for 2+ years, the awareness is more like second nature. I'm still not at my fully planned power capability yet (with my big 48v system), as I am running only a 2800w 120v inverter and a 22KWh battery bank, with 3000w of solar, so I still have to watch how I use loads, and require generator to run large things like the welder or air compressor.

Of course I am by myself right now, with my family not out here yet, so that is a whole nother story about having to teach other family about it too when they come out. From what I understand kids are the hardest to get power consumption within bounds.

And since I have not built my actual house yet, all of this awareness about power consumption, also goes into how to better design a passive style home which can operate at a lower power consumption, so it's all interconnected.

I guess many older houses can be retrofitted to incorporate many of the passive home strategies (except for core items like home orientation to South, and such examples like that)...

Perhaps if you did a drill like that, maybe your better half would finally give the go-ahead on that wood burning cook stove in the living room faster hehe...

Stock up on fooses

I went the exact opposite direction.
I have always made sure to turn off things that weren't being used. To keep the utility bill down.
I'm building a large enough system to get back my freedom. I want to do whatever I want, whenever I want. And not be concerned about it, at all.
The truth is that as I am able to decrease our energy use by making the house more energy efficient, we will be able to do whatever we want. On top of that I should have enough power in reserve in case we decide there is another electrical appliance we just can't do without.

The truth is that as I am able to decrease our energy use by making the house more energy efficient, we will be able to do whatever we want. On top of that I should have enough power in reserve in case we decide there is another electrical appliance we just can't do without.
Yeah, I'm also increasing the efficiency.
But, I'm not going to be limiting my usage. Like only cooking during the day. Or washing clothes on sunny days. I won't be watching my solar production or battery capacity. To see if I can use a particular appliance.

Back