diy solar

diy solar

24 Volt as second system for RV. Open to all discussion

richard cabesa

As the title says, I'm working towards putting a second battery system in my RV gearing it towards boondocking. I would like to get rid of the generator (haven't used it in two years now) yet would still like to run a LITTLE bit of air conditioning. I know that I will still have to plug in now and then.

I am open to ALL discussion about what I am thinking about doing except for the nay sayers that say it just can't be done.

What I'm trying to power, PleasureWay Pursuit, 22.5' long, 7.5' wide. Not really that much of a power hog in stock configuration. No jacks, no TV, no macerator toilet, no washer dryer. Just the basics

2020030119074752-5714353458795686931-IMG_2357_heic-XL.jpg

The elephant in the room of course is the AirCon but we'll get to more on my ideas there later

Right now my systems stand as:
200 watts solar on Victron 75/15
200 watts solar on Victron 75/15
400 watts solar on Victron 100/30
Battery to Battery charger Victron Smart 12/12/30
Xantrex 2000XC 80A inverter charger
3- Battle Born 100AH LiFePo4 batteries, 300AH
Victron BMV 712 Monitor
Amp-L-Start battery maintainer from House to Chassis battery

This system has been running great for over two years. My average electric usage is about 10-15% , about 30-45AH over night and around 25-30 AH during the day. There is rarely a day when the solar doesn't hit Float by noon. That includes making a shake in the Bullet, running the energy hog Micro/Convection (1800 watts) for a few minutes, and running a large NovaKool refer that is on 12volt only, lights, fans etc. The system will run the air conditioner but only for a very short time. I basically just don't

I am thrilled how this system just WORKS. But I want MORE!!!!
Most of it is here with another CC behind my head and the batteries below the floor
2020030107402417--5204099353894054919-IMG_2583-XL.jpg

I set up the Xantrex to run off the Gen or Shore and not the main A/C panel so it wouldn't be running in circles through the converter. In fact the converter is in the trash. The entire RV runs from the batteries charged by the solar and then the BtoB when needed and the Xantrax when plugged in, or A/C through the Xantrax as needed.

So what do I want to do? Get rid of that noisy Generator. I'm retired, love learning new stuff and ALWAYS need a new project to keep me busy between trips.

The plan at this point,
8S2P 202 AH 24 volt LiFePo4 DIY battery bank
2- Overkill 8S 100Amp BMS
Victron MultiPlus 24/3000/70 Inverter/charger
Move some portion of my solar over to this bank and add some Chassis engine charging.
Don't know yet if this will be BtoB or a second dedicated Alt

General plan is to pull the Gen and put the new 24 Volt system in its place, move some of the solar, use the Victron as my transfer switch to run in the Shore power going to my main A/C panel. I would then rewire the Xantrax to become a Charger ONLY and be able at rare times to charge the 12Volt house bank from the 24 Volt bank or shore (this would be rare emergency use only).
All A/C loads would come from the 24 Volt system and all DC loads would come from the 12 Volt system

Back to that elephant in the room, air conditioning. I'm not looking to spend the summer in Yuma but it would be nice to be able to run a few hours here and there. And YES, I've red every thread here, irv2.com, Expiditionportal.com, sprinter-source.com and several others and understand the issues.

Thanks in advance for any and all input

One other use for this is we live in a wind, quake and fire part of this rock and it is nice to have back up

I just posted this which you might find helpful, although my application- 1200W on a minivan- is a little bit different. I'm definitely going with 24V. Not 48V, because finding deals (my budget is tighter than yours, I think) on 48V hardware seemed impossible, but I've been squeaking by on 24V stuff.

Did this project make any progress? Are you removing a built in generator? That should provide the space you need for a sizable battery to run the air conditioner.

No progress other than planning for now. We are roaming around the Eastern Sierra for a while.

yes, the built in Onan 4000 will go and the new battery and inverter charger will go there. The new gear will weigh about the same as the gen.

I will come back to this thread as I get closer

Back