diy solar

diy solar

240V Split Phase Generator only outputting 120V in one leg?

Old_Skewler

Solar Enthusiast
Just realized some of our 240V loads were not powering up correctly and when I went to check the EP only one of the hot legs in our 240V split phase panel was getting voltage. I then went to the generator to measure voltage at the generator output and confirmed only one of the generator lines was getting 120V (red) while the other line (black) was not getting any voltage. So basically I have 120V to neutral on one leg but not 240V between the two hot wires.

I am not even sure how to troubleshoot this or start looking at what could be going on.

This is for a Kohler generator. Specs attached to this post.

Any ideas?

Attachments

• Kohler_14RESA Genset_Specs.pdf
    371.3 KB · Views: 5
Remove the outlet cover with the breaker in the off position.
Start generator up and measure output from inside. Generators vibrate a lot and get hot. Two things wires don’t usually like.

Remove the outlet cover with the breaker in the off position.
Start generator up and measure output from inside. Generators vibrate a lot and get hot. Two things wires don’t usually like.
I tried following the steps above and at first I got the 240V but then after trying to reconnect he cabin the voltage went all over the place and finally at 0V.

Not sure what is going on here...

I tried following the steps above and at first I got the 240V but then after trying to reconnect he cabin the voltage went all over the place and finally at 0V.

Not sure what is going on here...
What SCC are you connected to? I ask because my Growatt 12K did the same thing. Fused both 120v lines internally which causes my generator to only pull from a single phase.

Connect the generator to a sinlge 240v customer, fan - motor, which ever. Then try it, put a clamp motor on both legs and see if amperage is divided amongst them. If so, then the generator is not suspect, its something else.

Okay, just to close on this for anyone facing this down the road:

- Generator was fine. The display was showing 240V, so I disconnected the cabin from the generator and confirmed the 240V
- A junction box in bad bad shape before the cabin was looking faulty. I disconnected and removed the junction box and connected the wires directly. After doing that I was getting 240V back in the cabin.

All I need to do now is order another junction box and wiring connector.

Thank you everyone for the feedback.

Okay, just to close on this for anyone facing this down the road:

- Generator was fine. The display was showing 240V, so I disconnected the cabin from the generator and confirmed the 240V
- A junction box in bad bad shape before the cabin was looking faulty. I disconnected and removed the junction box and connected the wires directly. After doing that I was getting 240V back in the cabin.

All I need to do now is order another junction box and wiring connector.

Thank you everyone for the feedback.
%90 of the time it’s faulty wiring on my end for myself lol thanks for the update glad you figured it out

diy solar

diy solar
Back