diy solar

diy solar

EG4 6000XP 120v AC grid connection to 120/240v L1 and L2 input

Wildcard442

So I have an EG4 6000XP, in my RV 5th wheel camper, wired into my 240v 50amp receiver. That 240v 50amp input (shore power) is connected to the inverter input and works great when I have 240v 50amp input / shore power.

However, I am looking for something when sometimes I only have 120v 15amp shore power.

According to the inverter specs, it needs:
NOMINAL AC (input) VOLTAGE 120/240VAC (L1/L2/N required)

So, I am assuming it just needs 2 legs of 120v and it does not need to be 240v split phase. I am guessing the phasing of L1 and L2 doesn't matter, otherwise they would say so? but who knows, they recently changed the document from saying 120v/240v input to saying it needs L1 and L2. I bought it because the documents said 120v input would work, but that is not true.

So I am trying to work out a way to plug in 120v shore power (without needing a charger / chargeverter,etc - I have one and will use it as a last resort, just looking for something to use the existing wiring I've done).

Would something like this work to give me 120v L1 and L2 like the specs say it needs:

This is my attempt to do a wiring diagram of splicing two plugs together, please bear with me :) :

120v 1 leg to 120v 2 leg.jpg

I don't need much amperage, the solar does quite a bit of work, but having a little bit of AC / grid / shore power can help keep the batteries topped up. Again, I do have a battery charger, but I am looking for that utilizes the existing wiring I've done, rather than running new wiring again for the charger.

What do you all think?

Thanks!

Last edited:
So, I am assuming it just needs 2 legs of 120v and it does not need to be 240v split phase.
Incorrect
I am guessing the phasing of L1 and L2 doesn't matter,
There is no phasing. Split-phase is single phase.
otherwise they would say so
They do
According to the inverter specs, it needs:
NOMINAL AC (input) VOLTAGE 120/240VAC (L1/L2/N required)

Would something like this work to give me 120v L1 and L2 like the specs say it needs
No
Because that's not what it says
What do you all think?
Sorry, but it won't work.

Thanks for the feedback.

There is no phasing. Split-phase is single phase.

I'm pretty sure you're wrong about this. Split phase power incorporates a 180-degree phase shift between the two hot wires, while single phase power does not exhibit any phase shift

Let me know if my understanding of this is incorrect.

Where in the specs does it say it needs SPLIT PHASE? And if that is an undocumented requirement, let me know, because SPLIT PHASE is completely different than single phase. I think with single phase this could work, split phase is a whole other ball game and I'll just can the idea.

Thanks!

It is
Split-phase is 240v single phase with a center tapped neutral.

From your post

120/240vac is split-phase.

You should listen to Tim, he knows what he is talking about. Everything he has posted here is correct.

It wouldn't come back if they had the documentation correct. Originally it only said it needed 120 - 240v input. Bought it under those pretenses and then they said it wouldn't work like that. I'm highly motivated to find a solution other than sorry you are SOL.

Sorry for the dumb question(s), but not sorry ;)

Thanks for the feedback :)

It wouldn't come back if they had the documentation correct. Originally it only said it needed 120 - 240v input. Bought it under those pretenses and then they said it wouldn't work like that. I'm highly motivated to find a solution other than sorry you are SOL.

Sorry for the dumb question(s), but not sorry ;)

Thanks for the feedback :)
The dead horse comment wasn't about the 6kxp.
It was about split-phase.
The misunderstanding is not your fault. There is too much misinformation about split-phase on the internet.

He has other videos showing voltages from different grounding types (corner vs center I think is the term), but I think this video helps explain single phase pretty well.

im in the same boat but i knew it wouldnt work that is why i kept my refurbished eg4 3000W to use as a charger. just turn it on if i need to charge with my 120v gen and i didnt have to spend almost the same price on a chargeverter.. plan on putting it on a golf cart so it will charge it and double as back up power or power source in the field.

Yes a transformer will work, but it's not as efficient as a charger.
Plus it's heavy and you have to find room for it. (With air flow for cooling)
It would step up the 120v to 240v and provide a center tapped neutral.
But keep in mind that the input current (amperage) will be twice as much as the output current. So if you feed it with 30a of 120v, you will only get 15a at 240v out of it. (Minus efficiency losses)

Back