diy solar

diy solar

24v batt to 12v inverter

e67

I have a Victron 12v inverter. I might want to rig my panels and batts in the winter coming up for 24v for efficiency.......if so is there a way to use the 12v Victron via a DC to DC
box..??or other way?? or is that a no go...? I use a 30 amp CC which could process twice the power at 24v compared to 12v..

any good deals right now on a 24v inverter?? It would be temporary so I don't need another Victron...

Short answer is no. There are ways to rig it for use, but would not be practical.

The DC to DC box you mention can get pricey and would not be that powerful. I have a 70 amp converter. It is around 94% efficient, which wipes out most efficiciency you have with your SCC. Also 70 amps at 12 volts may produce 500 watts of power after the inverter efficiency loss. Not a lot of power.

You could rig the inverter so it pulls power from one battery, but this would quickly throw the batteries out of balance.

I would not want a cheap 24 volt inverter to make up for the efficiency gained by going to 30 amp 24 volt. Plenty of YouTube videos of cheap inverters going up in smoke, often before the rated votlage.

I propose getting a second SCC instead of an inverter and rigging two sets of panels; one to each SCC. I have 3 SCCs for my system.

Back