diy solar

diy solar

24v House battery bank + electric outboard motor

spearomax

Hey everyone, I've been reading these forums carefully in prep for starting the electrical system on my DIY expedition camper build. I am leaning toward a 24v system instead of a 12v system because every dc component I'd need I can get in 24v. I would use a sterling 12v to 24v alternator charger as well.

I plan to do extensive inflatable boating on my trips and am toying with the idea of an electric outboard. Many outboards are 48v, but some come in 24v. I'm wondering if I could build a big house bank of 2 or 3 24v marine batteries (I'm thinking the RoyPow ones Will just reviewed) and take one or two of them out to use a 24v outboard when I wish to. Trick is, I'd like to leave at least one battery in the camper at all times to run some components while out e-boating and would like it to charge off solar when I'm gone.

Is this safe to do? Would the batteries be in danger when connecting a nearly dead battery back to the bank? Would it require updating mppt every time? Thanks for your suggestions.

Back