diy solar

diy solar

24v system check

heavy.dog

G'day!

Hoping for any advice and review of a 24v system that I'm designing for my van.

For the Americans, please excuse the metric wire sizes - I'm an Australian. The AWG equivalents are in the top-left corner.

While I'd love to use an inverter/charger like a Victron Multiplus, I'm aiming for the system to not require a vehicle modification approval. This is required in Victoria, Australia, for any permanently wired 240v AC and/or inverters that don't comply with a standard - AS/NSZ 4763. If anyone has any advice on whether there's a way to use a Multiplus without requiring a vehicle modification plate, I'd appreciate it immensely! While I'm comfortable with the risk of DIY wiring a Multiplus, I'm cautious of the risk of my insurer using it as a reason to decline a payout.

24v-v1.png

Thanks!

1) For your 24 volt 16 A charger, what is the input?

2) For the 24 volt to 12 volt converter, is there any type of smart sense on it that will tell if the ignition is on or off?

3) For your disconnect switch, you could put a pre-charge resistor in With a different switch. My system is similar sizes and gives quite the spark when first turned on, so I wired a switch where the first position is a resistor and then goes to another position that is just on.

4) Is there a way to mount any of those panels to a roof and perhaps use a second SCC? I use 900 watts of portable panels and I may need to take those out when I use the air conditioner. Those take some time to set up and the areas I stay in tend to have winds that will blow them away either after sunset or shortly before sunrise so I take them down every night. I am also concerned of them getting stolen if I’m away and I do have a locked cable for that. I frequently have problems with my portable arrays with either connectors needing servicing or the combiner box needing servicing, the fixed array never any issues.

5) Do you not want a AC to DC converter to charge the batteries?

6) For fusing, I would do each series of batteries with a Class T 0r MBRF appropriate for the battery discharge and then another class T Fuse or MBRF once combined The Inverter would get a class T fuse or manual appropriate fuse. The others would be ANL.

Back