diy solar

diy solar

2500 to 3000 watt inverter

blammo585

I'm looking at getting a 12v 2500 to 3000 watt inverter for my storage building. I want to put an outdoor outlet on the backside of my building so that it will be active when I turn the inverter on. I don't want to run an extension cord out the door every time I want to use it. I was planning on getting one with a hardwire output. I've looked at so many and read so many mixed reviews. Sunday, I decided to settle on one that got decent reviews and a decent price. Then today I realized it didn't have the hardwire output (I think the 4000 watt one fooled me being in the same Amazon listing).

My original idea before I even knew that was a thing was to use a heavy duty extension cord and cut the end off and wire it into the outlet. Or, as someone suggested, use my own cable and a DIY plug. So my question is, how important is it to have a hardwire on the inverter, or can I just use a cord that stays plugged into the inverter's outlet and is hardwired to the outside outlet?

Sounds fine to me. I run an extension cord. A box is electrically identical, right?

I just pulled my victron 12/1200 out of the box to check. It’s got a plug. No diff as far as I know.

The biggest advantage to hard wiring is that you can get the full amperage out of the inverter where a plug is limited to the amperage limit of the plug.

If you want to get more than 15a out of an outlet you'll just have to connect multiple plugs to the power panel. Not a big deal, just wire from all the outlets to your power panel.

Back