diy solar

diy solar

EG4 3000 EHV in travel trailer

Bixby Dude

We bought a new travel trailer last summer. We purchased EG4 3000 EHV, two 48v 100ah batteries and 1500watts of solar panels.
It is set up with the factory transfer switch so that when plugged into "shore" power that runs the rv but auto-transfers to ithe inverter when unplugged. There was initially a problem where the transfer switch would not go to the inverter input and it had a open ground light. That problem seems to nhave fixed itself.
I attached a heavy duty power cord to the AC in for the inverter. When plugged into my garage it charges as it should.
When I plug into a GFCI however, it trips the outlet. I am waiting for a reply from Signature Solar. The first response was that this inverter was not designed to plug into a wall outlet. Then a second response that said the tech had misssed something in my question was checking with his supervisor.
I read another thread about GFCI problems but there did not seem to be a resolution.

We bought a new travel trailer last summer. We purchased EG4 3000 EHV, two 48v 100ah batteries and 1500watts of solar panels.
It is set up with the factory transfer switch so that when plugged into "shore" power that runs the rv but auto-transfers to ithe inverter when unplugged. There was initially a problem where the transfer switch would not go to the inverter input and it had a open ground light. That problem seems to nhave fixed itself.
I attached a heavy duty power cord to the AC in for the inverter. When plugged into my garage it charges as it should.
When I plug into a GFCI however, it trips the outlet. I am waiting for a reply from Signature Solar. The first response was that this inverter was not designed to plug into a wall outlet. Then a second response that said the tech had misssed something in my question was checking with his supervisor.
I read another thread about GFCI problems but there did not seem to be a resolution.
Hello @Bixby Dude ! If you'd like to reach out to me at engagement@signaturesolar.com I can get you an update on your response!

We also had a problem with the inverter shutting down and showing a fault when my wife used her 1200 watt blow dryer. We called Signature Solar tech support and they asked if it was being used on a low power setting. It was. They suggested trying the dryer on full power setting. It worked fine. No faults. They said the circuit board in the hair dryer made the inverter think the sine wave was out of specification....

We also had a problem with the inverter shutting down and showing a fault when my wife used her 1200 watt blow dryer. We called Signature Solar tech support and they asked if it was being used on a low power setting. It was. They suggested trying the dryer on full power setting. It worked fine. No faults. They said the circuit board in the hair dryer made the inverter think the sine wave was out of specification....
The fault code was 16. Over DC voltage in AC output.

The reason for this is that on low power with heat guns and hair dryers, the method of running half power is to simply use a diode to cancel out half of the AC waveform, which will REALLY make most inverters not happy. When switched to full power, the whole AC waveform is used to run the dryer/heat gun and there are no issues. I don't have a solution since I don't really mess with hair dryers much and I don't tend to use my heat guns on less than full power.

Back