diy solar

diy solar

280 AH Eve Battery/Overkill 120 Amp BMS/Progressive 4655L converter charger charger port disconnect

jpcjtrtj

The question here is should I leave the converter charger in the Lithium constant 14.6 volt mode (and re top balance the cells), or use the normal mode (14.4V/13.6V/13/2V) where this problem doesn't happen; or something else.

I built and added the 280 AH EVE battery to my trailer. I moved the jumper on the four stage converter charger to the Lithium setting which turns it into a single stage 14.6 V charger. When plugged in to shore power, one cell jumps the 3.65 V level before the battery hits 14.6 Volts and the BMS shuts down the charging port and stays off line until the voltage goes below 14.0 volts as per the BMS design. I've read you should not rely on the BMS to shut down charging, but it should only be a last resort. The delta for the rogue cell is .02 V at the top now; all cells run a delta of less than .005 under load.

The charger port shut off doesn't happen on the solar charge set up as that is set to 14.4 volts. The DCDC charger is set to 14.4 volts too. In its normal mode, the Converter Charger has a 14.4 V boost charge, a 13.6 V normal charge and 13.2 V float. The boost cycle was supposed to go for 4 hours, but I'm not sure it lasts that long.

We don't usually dry camp for more than a week and solar keeps us at the top when we need it; and I can always turn on the car for a while and use the DC DC charger set up if i want to get near the top. When plugged in to shore power, the battery need is zero. So, it seems using the regular charging profile is a better choice than using the 14.6 constant charge and relying on the BMS disconnect the charging port when we hit the top. Thoughts?

Cells must be perfectly balanced to take a charge to 14.6V.

14.4/13.6/13.2V will definitely get you to 95%+ SoC depending on your voltage drop between the converter and the battery.

If charging on shore, I'd use 4 stage.

If charging on generator, I'd use 14.6V.

Yes, it's best to not RELY on the BMS to protect the cells as a part of your normal operations. System should work inside BMS limits.

Did you top balance the cells before you installed them in the battery. That would cause your problem. Check out Filter Guy. His posts are good info for making your own battery.

I did 2x; but they are not perfectly matched and the delta between cells at the top means some hit 3.65V before others causing the BMS to go into over voltage protect mode. I decided to limit the charger to 14.4 volts… for my purposes, that’s close enough. After a full week of dry camping and poor weather, I still had over 220 of 280 AH left…

Back