diy solar

diy solar

280AH EVE CELL LASTED ONLY TWO YEARS

Yet the clamp doesn't even make a dent in the case. I wonder why? It's an excuse that they may well use but it's not valid.
next time build a box, put insulation between cells. it seems like your cells packs were moving according to the bottom picture.

Last edited:
Classic. I’ve jacked up every step of the process. And got compensated for damaged cells. And screw all you guys who think it‘s my fault.

Lessons learned would have been great. “Telling on the seller“ and trying to get recompense, lame.

The problem with my statement and your conclusion is my charger could not and did not charge the battery fully because it is a lead acid charger. It fact, I originally thought there was something wrong with the battery because the charge would not last very long. I later learned after connecting the bms that trying to charge the battery with a 1000w inverter connected running two refrigerators would not allow the battery to fully charge, not even to 13.6. In fact, with that charger, even without the inverter connected, it would never charge the battery above 13.6v.

So you are dead wrong. And I must say, you clearly don't have to try and be a dick. It appears to come naturely to you. Please ignore my post going forward. Your feedback is not helpful to me. Never has been. Thanks!
Unfortunate that you can’t set your ego aside and learn from your mistakes.
The damaged cells is bad but you seem to have contributed greatly to your current issue

Luckily it wasn’t more serious and hopefully you will give some deep consideration to the comments you are taking offence to before you try again

The best lessons in life come from accepting and learning from our mistakes. I hope you can do so here before something seriously goes wrong

Unfortunate that you can’t set your ego aside and learn from your mistakes.
The damaged cells is bad but you seem to have contributed greatly to your current issue

Luckily it wasn’t more serious and hopefully you will give some deep consideration to the comments you are taking offence to before you try again

The best lessons in life come from accepting and learning from our mistakes. I hope you can do so here before something seriously goes wrong

The lesson is expect things to go wrong when experimenting. In the early stages no one has all the answers. Expect gaps in all available information. I've taken one for the team. You're welcome.

The lesson is expect things to go wrong when experimenting. In the early stages no one has all the answers. Expect gaps in all available information. I've taken one for the team. You're welcome.
Yes it is and thanks
Glad your accepting of that.

I originally just had the cells taped like Will does in some of his videos. When I noticed them expanding is when I put the clamps on them. Again, I'm not sure where I saw that clamping method but I did see it done somewhere. I did not tighten them down enough to collaspe the corner of the cells as you can see in the photos.

However the cells expand and contract and that would have absolutely put an incredible amount of pressure on your clamping rig. This was absolutely a big contributing factor. You need to fix this when you repair and recommission the battery.

Ok, I finally took the battery completely out of my RV to take some better pictures and it's worse than I thought. The swollen cell busted completely open at the bottom and the fluid appears to have damaged the blue cover on the other cells. When I peeled the gorilla tape off, the black covering on the bottom and some of the blue covering came off. That revealed damage to another cell which must have been from the original shipping damage. So yeah, excepting damage cells was a really bad idea. Here is a link to the original unboxing video where the shipping damage was discovered. See current pictures below.

I've sent a message to Xuba which is where Amy was working at the time and I'm waiting on a response. I don't expect this to go well for me. I guess this is the risk you take buying individual cells from China and building your own battery. And I was just about to order 32 more cells to build two 48v batteries. I'll have to rethink that decision.
Hi, can you let me know what the battery was doing before you took it apart? Was it not charging, how did you know that it was damaged before visually inspecting it? Thanks

so what is recommended clamping for a a large CATL (300ah X 32cells) bank for a home (not mobile)? Will a wood frame made from 2x8 plank be sufficient? If so should they also be taped 4 to a group inside that frame?

REMINDER TO ALL! : The aluminum cases of the EVE batteries are conductive, and you should NEVER use conductive materials (like hose clamps) to strap/bind cells. If the strapping wears through the blue covering (it will) or worse through the aluminum case (it can) then short circuits can occur through the strapping resulting in cell damage, heating and some cases fire.

Ok, I finally took the battery completely out of my RV to take some better pictures and it's worse than I thought. The swollen cell busted completely open at the bottom and the fluid appears to have damaged the blue cover on the other cells. When I peeled the gorilla tape off, the black covering on the bottom and some of the blue covering came off. That revealed damage to another cell which must have been from the original shipping damage. So yeah, excepting damage cells was a really bad idea. Here is a link to the original unboxing video where the shipping damage was discovered. See current pictures below.

I've sent a message to Xuba which is where Amy was working at the time and I'm waiting on a response. I don't expect this to go well for me. I guess this is the risk you take buying individual cells from China and building your own battery. And I was just about to order 32 more cells to build two 48v batteries. I'll have to rethink that decision.
I can see the problem started at 8:25 in your unboxing video. I am surprised your battery lasted a month. I assume as soon as they ballooned up, then you decided to strap the cells. The liquid that leaks out is quite toxic, and you should avoid breathing or letting it touch your skin.

I think Xuba will refuse any sort of claim.

Ho man ... if i was the seller i would refund or repair nothing. Agreed with other guys here, the clamping is very bad
- Stress on all 4 corners with NO comrpession on "big faces" of those cells (as it is recommended).
- Conductive strap that could lead to put cells in contact (electrically) after the protective tape as been worned out.
- Weak tape under cells which could generate the same problem.

My feeling, maybe i'm wrong : You got to respect a battery pack, specially in an RV where there are vibrations.... it's full of energy... it's not a toy, i would felt happy that nothing more destructive has happend with this pack.

Maybe the strapping is not the main reason of the bloated cells, could be that it has been overcharged, in this case i wonder why the pressure valve did not blown before the case.

I ordered 17 cells in january 2021, they've been sitting in a proper place since then, one of the cells has been dented in the shipping, was not easy but i got a full refund on it (one month after recveiving them).
One year and a half after.... i dit not charged or discharged them; never touched them all this time : 16 out of 17 cells are between 3.290V and 3.297V, that's pretty good. The dented cells ... was at ... 0.019V
And the dent was not that extrem... !

I'm charging this cell to see how it goes....

PS : Thanks for your pictures, very informative, it's not very funny to post our own mistakes but so usefull for others .. !

Last edited:
Back