diy solar

diy solar

3 * 2awg meaning

alvirtuoso

Saw this on the website you linked:

• Battery , 12000W / 48V = 250A x 1.25 = 300A DC Breaker to battery bank. (3 x 2AWG)

That to me means 3 cables. Each is 2 AWG. All have their own connectors on each end. Stack them on the connector terminal.

Makes me wonder why they don't just use 2x2/0 or 1x4/0.

Saw this on the website you linked:

• Battery , 12000W / 48V = 250A x 1.25 = 300A DC Breaker to battery bank. (3 x 2AWG)

That to me means 3 cables. Each is 2 AWG. All have their own connectors on each end. Stack them on the connector terminal.

Makes me wonder why they don't just use 2x2/0 or 1x4/0.
Thank you very much!

Seems weird to have 3 smaller wires instead of up sizing. I have the same inverter waiting to be hooked up. Great question. Any ideas why they state 3 wires? I planned on running 4/0 to my bank

Seems weird to have 3 smaller wires instead of up sizing. I have the same inverter waiting to be hooked up. Great question. Any ideas why they state 3 wires? I planned on running 4/0 to my bank
My chart shows slightly lower cir-mils with 3x #2 and about 10% more ampacity compared to 4/0. I think you are fine with 4/0.

Or should i twist them together crimped in a single round connector(if it fits)?
It'll never fit and crimp down right. You'll want to go with individual terminals or the larger wire to get your ampacity.

The reason a lot of places call for multiple smaller cables is 1: Finding something like the larger 4/0 size in copper is really hard and expensive (as opposed to the local auto parts store), and 2: routing & crimping 4/0 wire is a PITA.

Back