diy solar

diy solar

3 pole double throw switch

Oldsawman

Can anyone recommend a 3 pole double throw 80 amp or higher switch that has an encloseure and won't break the bank.? Using for a inverter to subpanel bypass thanks

Something like this?

Baomain Universal Rotary Changeover Switch LW28-125/D303.3 with Master Switch Exterior Box LW28-125/4 660V 125A 3 Position 3 Phase https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01JRCPV0K/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_CR3DQAY5J6NZ8R5TBVN9
EDIT: Disreagard below. I see this is for ac not dc.
———/////

3 phase implies AC. I inquired to a vendor if the switch was DC rated. The vendor contacted a manufacturer and I heard back probably.

I did not buy the switch unsure of DC arcing under load.

I use blue sea e series switches for the same price, but not rated for disconnect under load and not sure if it’s svailable for what you’re asking.

This is one I’m installing for a pre-charge

Something tells me you already looked at those.

...3 pole double throw 80 amp ...won't break the bank.? Using for a inverter to subpanel bypass
I don't have a specific recommendation for a 3 pole 80 Amp AC double through switch; but I would advise whatever you install be tested by an independent lab (e.g., CE, UL, ETL). Sadly, that's where it gets expensive.

Possibly 80 amp breakers with an interlock kit to get the price down?

An interlock kit is a mechanic lockout that ensures both sets of breakers can not be engaged at the same time. The picture to the right illustrates the general idea as to how they work, you'd probably install it in the subpanel.

In the example interlock, the generator breaker can't be engaged unless the main breaker is off. Likewise the main can't be turned on unless the generator is disengaged.
1649767489611.png
They're expensive to purchase, but cheap to make (e.g., cut metal shape & attachments).

Last edited:

I don't have a specific recommendation for a 3 pole 80 Amp AC double through switch; but I would advise whatever you install be tested by an independent lab (e.g., CE, UL, ETL). Sadly, that's where it gets expensive.

An interlock kit is a mechanic lockout that ensures both sets of breakers can not be engaged at the same time. The picture to the right illustrates the general idea as to how they work, you'd probably install it in the subpanel.

In the example interlock, the generator breaker can't be engaged unless the main breaker is off. Likewise the main can't be turned on unless the generator is disengaged.
View attachment 90890
They're expensive to purchase, but cheap to make (e.g., cut metal shape &

View attachment 90890
They're expensive to purchase, but cheap to make (e.g., cut metal shape & attachments).
I was thinking that I would have to isolate the neutral also

View attachment 90890
I was thinking I had to isolate the neutral also

I have had very good luck - search eBay “square d double throw”, lots of 2 and 3 pole, reasonable $$$

I am currently scoping a decent option for 3 pole double throw.

3 Pole AC changeover

$200
IP65 (Possibly equivalent to Nema4X)
3-4 pole options
63 amp max

I am seeing wiring diagrams for this for 2 inputs to load I just need to confirm it has an Off position for my use case.

I am seeing a lot of the cheaper Amazon options going up in smoke. This manufacturer has a great track record.
All of the larger lever options are in the $500 - $700 range.

I am currently scoping a decent option for 3 pole double throw.

3 Pole AC changeover

$200
IP65 (Possibly equivalent to Nema4X)
3-4 pole options
63 amp max

I am seeing wiring diagrams for this for 2 inputs to load I just need to confirm it has an Off position for my use case.

I am seeing a lot of the cheaper Amazon options going up in smoke. This manufacturer has a great track record.
All of the larger lever options are in the $500 - $700 range.
What changeover switch you end up getting?

Back