diy solar

diy solar

30 amp RV; how do I program inverter to make use of 15 amp Ac input?

whatismouse

Ok I've been 100% boondocking since I completed my off-grid electrical system. But I just settled into a place longer(ish)-term where I have access to 120V, but only 15 amps. I'm a little confused how to program my inverter to be able to use this extra power, but without tripping the breaker.

It seems that I can't use the AC input to power the loads, because there is no way to automatically switch to battery when loads exceed 15 amps, or to automatically supplement the AC with battery-power like I could with a victron multiplus I suppose. (my inverter is an mpp solar 3048lv-mk)

So I set AC to be lower priority than Solar and Battery, thinking that maybe it would just charge the battery (and I can limit the charging amps to something that wont exceed 15amps @120v). Except that doing this, it won't charge, until AC becomes priority, which would only happen when battery voltage drops below the "return to grid" voltage that I set. Except this isnt helpful because at that point the AC will then try to charge @ whatever amps I set it to, as well as power all my loads, which will obviously trip the breaker whenever I do anything.

Is there really no way to make use of this extra power?

Last edited:
You could run off the inverter 100% and use a stand alone battery charger to keep the battery up.

interesting...i actually have one of those cheap chinese variable power supplies that i bought to equalize the SOC of my two batteries....I'm a little scared to use that thing 24/7. Also I'd have to bring a power cord inside.

Back