diy solar

diy solar

Inverter AC input/output breakers

IrishG

Looking for some advice again from wise heads here.
summery of setup:
I have 3 x growatt SPF 6000 ES in single phase parallel (230v EU).
I have 4 x 14.3kw battery banks paralelled with centalised busbar.
Solar and battery working but I have not connected Utility back or loads yet.
Id like to add a transfer switch, but its not essential

Im unsure on breaker types and positioning. Growatt manual is vague at best "Before connecting to AC input power source, please install a separate AC breaker between inverter and AC input power source."

I have attached a schematic of what I think I should do. I thought to use type B MCB's on the live only.
Does this all look safe and right?
Should these be 2 pole and break the neutral also?
Should there be an RCD or RCBO somewhere between utility and ac in ouf inverters?
Do the paralellel block positioning make sense?

thanks
G

Attachments

• Solar-MCB's.jpg
    Solar-MCB's.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 9
If the regs in Ireland are similar to UK, you will need to involve a sparky to complete the AC work - He/she should be able to advise on the details you are asking about and I recommend you do so, based on your posting.

In the meantime, my thoughts (and I'm not a Sparky, nor familiar with Growatt) are:-

- UK regs require dual pole AC isolator for inverter grid input, which is lockable in the off position.
- The size of MCBs in your diagram will be a function of the size of wire you are using, to protect the wiring
- You will need to consider earthing arrangements for when you are operating in off-grid mode. Implementation will depend on whether you currently have TT or TN-C-S earthing.
- An RCB/RCBO will be required on the AC backup side.
- You may need to add N-E bonding if not provided by the Growatt.

Back