diy solar

diy solar

MPP V2424-LV MSD Inverter -- open ground on output when AC in is disconnected

Scoob-SanDiego

I have a MPP 2424-LV-MSD all in one inverter.
When all is connected (solar PV, input AC and output AC), all is good and works as expected.
BUT when I disconnect AC (load and neutral are disconnected by a breaker/switch but the ground is permanently connected... as should be), then using a 3 LED plug tester on the output AC reports an "open ground".... Closer inspection shows 120V between hot and neutral (OK), 45V between the ground and the neutral and 75V between the hot and the ground conductors... NOT OK! If I turn on the input AC breaker, then everything goes back to normal (0V between ground and neutral and 120V between hot and ground).

I have disconnected all my output circuits and double checked the output voltages straight on the inverter's output.
I double checked that the incoming AC is as expected (120V between hot/neutral, 120V between hot and ground and 0v between neutral and ground).

Do I have a broken inverter or is there something I'm not understanding here.
Having an open ground when there is NO AC input is quite disturbing (Think powering my electric host tub and/or my metal exterior washer and dryer).

Any insight would be very welcome!

Back