diy solar

diy solar

3000w inverter - narrowed down to 3.

@smoothJoey and @sharpey, both the Victron Low Voltage Disconnect And Samlex Disconnect look to be one and the same. There was discussion that connected these to inverters is a bad idea.

These products cannot have reverse flow so inverter/Charger Setups where energy flows back into the battery through the disconnects fries the FETs almost instantly.

Also, even though these are rated for 200A continuous, the In rush current on heavy loads or larger inverters are damaging a lot of these disconnects.

I wanted to go this route as well but my hopes were dashed here:
https://diysolarforum.com/threads/problem-with-victron-battery-protect.102/#post-72079

I just got off the phone with a Samlex Applications Engineer and he told me that they don't see a problem with inrush current assuming the Battery guard is sized properly for the system. He also told me that the BG-X units can not be placed between a charge source and the battery.
Samlex has good products and good people.

I just got off the phone with a Samlex Applications Engineer and he told me that they don't see a problem with inrush current assuming the Battery guard is sized properly for the system. He also told me that the BG-X units can not be placed between a charge source and the battery.
Samlex has good products and good people.

NICE! The Victron LVD also cannot accept reverse current (Charger).

I love Samlex products...I just wish I could afford them. I owned a 150W pure sine and it seriously felt solid!

I might give this battery protect on the load side.

Just to be clear neither can this one.

Looking at the manual and I’m liking LVD position 7.

Disconnect at 23V (6% SOC) and reconnect at 25.6V (20% SOC). Or even 24V/26V (9%/20% SPC).

Attachments

• C99B77D3-A4D7-4293-9D92-87B77689BDE7.jpeg
    C99B77D3-A4D7-4293-9D92-87B77689BDE7.jpeg
    43.3 KB · Views: 16
IF you are concerned about surge you could consider a LF inverter. MUCH heavier due to the transformer but is rated to handle 9KW surge for up to 20 seconds.

See here:

No experience YET but I have a 48v version shipping tomorrow.
Have you had any experience with the Sigineer inverter/charger yet?

Have you had any experience with the Sigineer inverter/charger yet?

Yes. I have the 48v version and it is working fine but I have not had a chance to put a heavy inductive load on it yet.

Running my home office now for over a week.

Yes. I have the 48v version and it is working fine but I have not had a chance to put a heavy inductive load on it yet.

Running my home office now for over a week.
Great, thanks. A friend has been installing 4 kW Magnum inverter-chargers and is looking for a cheaper 2 kW or so unit for smaller off-grid homes owned by people who can't afford more. This one looks like a good option.

You can get the reliable from the same seller for less money on Ebay.
I just bought the 24v 4000w for $425.00.

Here's another take on the Sigineer, which is imported. I have one and it works great. It handles microwave, air compressor, vacuum, heavy loads just fine. Good clean sine wave.

Did you look at the solar charger inverter models? Like this one?

It is an all in one AC, PV in, charger/Inverter.

I was looking at the 2000W version for my van conversion and I hope the website information is wrong because the PV specs look like they are for a 12 V battery.

Did you look at the solar charger inverter models? Like this one?

It is an all in one AC, PV in, charger/Inverter.

I was looking at the 2000W version for my van conversion and I hope the website information is wrong because the PV specs look like they are for a 12 V battery.

I did not look at those for my house but I can definitely see the appeal of an all-in-one for a van conversions. 60 amps of 24 volt solar charging is enough to run a 3000w inverter at half-power or about 500 watts continuous so it's not a lot of charging for a 3000 watt inverter. You're right. The 12v solar specs do not make sense for the 24 volt 2000 watt model so something is wonky there.

I did not look at those for my house but I can definitely see the appeal of an all-in-one for a van conversions. 60 amps of 24 volt solar charging is enough to run a 3000w inverter at half-power or about 500 watts continuous so it's not a lot of charging for a 3000 watt inverter. You're right. The 12v solar specs do not make sense for the 24 volt 2000 watt model so something is wonky there.
I pinged the company and they thanked me for noting the mistake on their website. The manual for the device has the correct data.

I am in the research stage myself for the same thing, a 24V inverter able to power big loads.

I ran across this HF inverter from AIMS. Amazon price is about $700. The specs look really solid. You can tell by looking at this thing has not been "value" engineered into worthlessness.

With respect to the low voltage cutoff, I think I will just add my own. The AIMs inverter has a contact closure input to turn the Inverter on/off. I could easily add a voltage comparator setpoint circuit to my battery pack to turn the Inverter off at any voltage I desire. That is great, because I had been ruling out inverters that didn't have configurable low voltage shut down (which is just about all of them). I was planning on using this input for a remote control for the inverter, but I can just put the voltage setpoint circuit output in series with the manual switch and that way either will turn off the inverter.

I for one am uncomfortable with the LF Inverter/Chargers I have seen. The ones I have looked at have a battery "Chemistry" switch instead of configurable charge parameters. I like the Victron Multiplus, but they are a lot more expensive than the LF inverter/chargers.

This is my inverter. https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07TJQDXJM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I am not sure I can recommend it because I have not had it long enough. Time will tell if its any good. The one I had before it was an eco-worthy 3kW, it failed powering a 1.4kW mower. So not wanting to get another bag of tripe (and on a limited budget) I got that.

FWIW I don't think Eco-Worthy stuff is any good.
That is a great price. Unfortunately not for use in the USA. I couldn't find anything about that brand (or FlowerS which looks identical).

I just found this Xantrex 2000W 24V inverter that looks good. Configurable battery settings. 2 Second surge rating, specifically mentions being able to power a microwave oven (my Holy Grail issue). Has an automatic transfer switch for shore power. Same $700 street price as the AIMS plus you can configure the low voltage disconnect threshold. I am liking this one.

-Edit-

I was reading the Xantrex manual. The configurability looks great:
  • Low voltage cutoff from 20.0V to 25.6V in 0.1V increments.
  • Low voltage recovery from 20.2V to 32V in 0.1V increments
  • Low voltage cutoff timeout from 1 to 300 seconds (so a momentary surge demand doesn't cause shutdown when the battery is still sufficiently charged).
You can also configure the max power output (from 100W to 2000W in 100W increments) if you have a reason to.

This is looking more and more like the one for me. Only reason I was looking at 3000W units was because the crap inverters I have been looking at couldn't actually deliver rated power.

Last edited:
Is true sine the same as pure sine??
Probably. Question to answer is what the maximum harmonic distortion? That really tells you how much the waveform varies from a sine wave. Lower numbers are better. Typically numbers for High Frequency inverters are around 3%. Low frequency inverters can have higher distortion, depending on if it is old school or a newer hybrid low frequency inverter.

A low frequency inverter is either a simple square wave inverter (old school) or a high frequency (hybrid) inverter with the output passing through a ferroresonant transformer. Ferroresonant transformers provide excellent noise filtering, line voltage regulation and surge capacity. I used Sola MCR ferroresonant transformers to provide line regulation and noise filtering for control systems when I worked in plant automation.

Modern switching power supplies don't really need these things much any more. So they found a home in inverter technology instead. Biggest thing I recall with using ferroresonant transformers is they have a minimum load spec and can overheat if you power them continuously without a load connected. I assume the inverter controller must take care of shutting down the output when the inverter is not loaded to protect the transformer against overheating.

I haven't paid much attention to the design of the transformer in LF inverters for a long time but the power use of a decent quality LF inverter with PWM drive of the transformer isn't terrible. A < 1000 watt Victron in normal mode but with no load is around 16 watts off the DC input.

And to put yet another wrinkle in my sheets. I have been reading up on the Samlex Evo-2224. Hybrid low frequency inverter/charger that is essentially as configurable as the Victron. The Samlex looks well engineered also. The Evo-2224 and Multiplus 24/2000 can be had for essentially the same price.

Its like these manufactures are trying to make it hard to chose. I have noticed that the price of my preferred product seems to creep higher and higher the longer I research this.

Its a conspiracy I tell you.

I’m looking to build a portable 24V solar generator for emergencies similar to the Titan.

I’ll likely only be pulling 1800-2500w continuous for short household tasks but I’m thinking about going with a 3000w inverter just for the overhead. For example, my wife’s 2000w hair dryer pulls closer to 2100w. My 1100w microwave actually pulls closer to 1900w. I know that a kitchen size fridge and washing machine only run at 600-700 watts but the motor can surge quite a bit.

I’ve narrowed my sights on 3 inverters that differ wildly on price. I’m not keen spending $900 on a Samlex but I could be swayed. Unless anyone can recommend something else or convince me the “cheaper” inverters are adequate for emergency use.

Ordered by cost:
1) $335 Reliable 3000w 24V:

2) $489 Giandel 3000w 24V - Will’s pick:

3) $846 Samlex 24VPST
Samlex 3000W Pure Sine Wave Inverter - 24V https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01EX48IL6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_NOQPEbA8PYN0J

Would the MPP Solar LV2424 satisfy your needs? It's $636.75, has programmable low voltage battery cutoff, good for 2400 watts with 24VDC charging.

That is a great price. Unfortunately not for use in the USA. I couldn't find anything about that brand (or FlowerS which looks identical).

I just found this Xantrex 2000W 24V inverter that looks good. Configurable battery settings. 2 Second surge rating, specifically mentions being able to power a microwave oven (my Holy Grail issue). Has an automatic transfer switch for shore power. Same $700 street price as the AIMS plus you can configure the low voltage disconnect threshold. I am liking this one.

-Edit-

I was reading the Xantrex manual. The configurability looks great:
  • Low voltage cutoff from 20.0V to 25.6V in 0.1V increments.
  • Low voltage recovery from 20.2V to 32V in 0.1V increments
  • Low voltage cutoff timeout from 1 to 300 seconds (so a momentary surge demand doesn't cause shutdown when the battery is still sufficiently charged).
You can also configure the max power output (from 100W to 2000W in 100W increments) if you have a reason to.

This is looking more and more like the one for me. Only reason I was looking at 3000W units was because the crap inverters I have been looking at couldn't actually deliver rated power.
Let us know if you grab this and like it. @HaldorEE

Ive been following this post, im in the same boat with some of the same inverters on my list.

diy solar

diy solar
Back