diy solar

diy solar

36v EZGO lithium-ion battery charger

AndrewShort

I have a mid 2000s EZGO txt golf cart, 36v system all stock controller and motor. I am looking to upgrade to new batteries. I have my eyes on these batteries from batteryhookup. 36v 2kw 10s11p packs, come with a metal enclosure just need BMS. I am planning on buying 4 of these packs, each of them with a 100 Amp Bms that Battery Hookup sells as well. I am stumped on what kind of charger to get that would be reasonably priced for my needs. I am new to doing this kind of stuff and am looking for some guidance.

I would strongly advise NOT to go with that type of battery ( ternary ) for a golf cart application, you want Lifep04. Ternary without a bullet proof bms and other protections you could easily end up in a ball of fire. EVen stock controllers can pull 175 amps.

I went with pair of BigBattery 36V raptor batteries, there are other Lifep04 makers as well, not saying this manufacture is the best, but it has worked well for me with zero issues and my cart is using a 400 amp ALLTRAX controller.

20220831_132137.jpg

Alright, thank you for your input. I took your advice and got some Lifep04 Batteries. I went with these 40ah 3.2 Lifep04 prismatic cells from battery hookup. I got 36 of them to do a 12S3P configuration with a 300A BMS. They are never cycled cells, and battery hookup are testing them all above 40AH. There are a few things I am thinking about, and I would love other's opinions.
- Box, I am planning on making a box out of plywood to keep the battery in. I have been watching alot of Ray Builds Cool Stuff on Youtube, planning on making a similar box to his for my cells.
- Bus bars, I am thinking of using thick aluminum flats for bus bars. around 3" x 1/4". They should be able to hold a continuous 380A discharge rate, are cheaper than copper, and are less prone to corrosion. Here is where I was looking for the aluminum flats. link
- I need a charger, and I would love to be able to control the charge voltage. I want the batteries to last, and the BMS I am getting allows me to fine-tune the voltage ranges for the batteries.
- Here is a basic layout of how I plan to make the batteries. Dimensions leave about 3–4" on parameter for the box and fans if I decide to install fans. Batteries will be packed snugly together to help limit expansion, and will include plastic sheet material between cells for increased wear resistance.
Battery.drawio (1).png
I'm always happy to get advice, so please let me know what I could do better in this plan/design.

Last edited:
Back