diy solar

diy solar

36v lifepo4 for marine trolling motor

colotroy

I'm pretty new to this but it doesn't seem too complicated. I do have 1 question I don't seem to be able to find the answer to...

I currently have 3 group 31 AGM batteries connected in series. I need 36v and no more than 60a, it's currently fused at 60a. I have a Noco marine charger with 3 leads 10a each connected to each battery to charge. The boat is 24' and heavy and I use the trolling motor constantly. I pretty much drain the 110ah batteries every day. I doubt I'm really getting advertised power based on what I see and what I've found online. I can charge these batteries overnight and be ready to go in the morning if I have a power source but that's not always easy or available. I either have to pull the boat out of the water and plug it in to utility power or use a my Honda 1000 and run it all night and that makes it hard to sleep when camping on the boat. I'd like to get to the point where I don't have to mess with the generator or charging the batteries at all on a 3 or 4 day trip.

Also the savings on weight is huge for a boat. When I added the 3 group 31s I noticed it was much harder to get the nose all the way on the trailer because of the additional weight forward, which is really the only place I have.

My idea is to get 12 280ah or 310ah cells to make 36v. My big question is this... I'd like to use the existing Noco 12v 3 lead marine charger. I guess this means I will need to wire these batteries with 3 4s 100a BMSs to basically build 3 12v batteries and hook each up in series as if they were independent batteries. This seems easy to do, much like I have the 3 AGM batteries wired but then to monitor the batteries with a BlueTooth BMS I'd have to look at all 3 BMSs for capacity. I wouldn't be able to use a single shunt as I'd have to be charging the batteries in groups of 4 for 12v. I hope I'm making this clear... Would I be able to just monitor 1 of the 3 batteries and do the math by 3 or could that be way off?

It seems a better way would be to use a single 12s 100a BMS with BT but then I wouldn't be able to use the current charger. I'd have to get a charger capable of 36v and I have found 1 waterproof 36v charger at 10a which would work , but I don't see how I could use the existing charger because I'd have to charge groups of 4 at 12v and that wouldn't work with a single12s BMS would it?

I've seen a couple threads where people are asking about this for a 36v trolling motor but they don't have all the details I was hoping for. Hopefully someone else has done this and can offer some advice before I get in too deep on this.

I'm attaching a jpg of my initial plan, 3 groups of 4 cells for 3 12v batteries connected in series and 3 BMS but I'd really like a way of monitoring the ah use and capacity so I know how much I have left.... NOTE - I couldn't figure out how to change the scale so where you see 18' it's really 18" and where you see 2'9" it's really 2.75" I was in a hurry and just really needed to see it things fit and wanted to draw a quick diagram to get my thoughts straight... If there's a better way or if a 12s 36v BMS is a better route please let me know. Also if I messed up the wiring let me know this is my first shot at this with a BMS in the mix....

I'm planning on making a custom battery box out of marine board HDPE to house this and have a lid to cover up all the exposed terminals. How concerned do I need to be about ventilation because of heat?

Thanks in advance...

Attachments

• BoatBatteryBox.jpg
    BoatBatteryBox.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 3
Your plan is to sextuple the battery capacity, keep the same charging plan, and not recharge overnight?
I guess I don’t follow. I mean if you were adding solar to maintain charging underway, sure… but bigger batteries will take longer to charge… they will last longer, sure, but will take longer to charge…

Well, I was afraid I wasn't being clear... Yes, I don't want to recharge overnight, I want the capacity to run the entire trip and charge when I get home...

My basic question is... How can I monitor this 36v system and with what config, 1 12s BMS or 3 4s BMSs, assuming I'd prefer to use my existing 12v x 3 lead charger? I completely understand it will take longer to charge than my current system. That's not my concern as I'm hoping to have capacity to run the whole trip and then will have a week or 2 to completely recharge when I return before the next trip.

The question is how can I monitor this system to know what's been used and how much power I have left and given that can I use my existing charger? If I configure with 3 4s BMS and basically build 3 12v batteries then I have 3 BMSs to monitor, but I can use my existing charger to charger each of the 4 cell 12v groups. I'm hoping for a way to monitor the system in total, not 3 BMSs seperately.

If I configure with 1 12s 36v BMS then how do I charge with the existing 12v by 3 lead charger and monitor the system or is it even possible with my existing 12v x 3 lead charger? I understand I could buy a 36v 10a charger, I did find a 36v IP67 charger. I'm betting a 36v charger is really the only way to charge and then monitor this system as a whole but wanted to know if there's something I may be missing here since I'm new to this??

Monitoring a single config of 4 cells for 12v with 1 4s BMS is pretty straight forward, it's when I get to 24v or 36v and want to use my existing charger that I don't think will work.

I hope I'm making my question clearer???

Putting together 3 independent 12V batteries would be the easiest way .... You could use your existing charger as long as it has an AGM mode.

Monitoring 3 batteries isn't really that hard with a phone App like you would get with the JBD Overkill Solar BMS .... and once you have used the system for a while you will probably just be able to glance at the status of one battery and the other three should be fairly close.

If you REALLY just want one monitor you could add something like a Victron smart shunt and put it in series with the entire pack.

If you want some reading material .... there's a 97 page thread about using lithium in a boat over here.

I went with 100 ah for my 36 volt trolling motor. Bigger batteries like 280 ah will not take as much g force action as smaller cells so I have read here. Analogy was bigger breast are not for long sprints.
keep the power plant and get a high amp charger. Lifep04 charges so fast and can take the amps much faster agm and does not mind not being charged all the way.
18 amp charger will charge 100 ah depleted battery in 5.5 hours!

Hmm, can you use a 36v charger with 3 4s BMSs hooked in series? I'm probably wrong here but I thought to use a 36v charger to charge 3 12v batteries I'd need 1 12s BMS? Of course going this route would mean I can't use 4 x 10A NOCO charge I already have that cost $400.

My main goal here is to be able to go days without charging the trolling motor and a 12v fridge because I camp on the boat and don't have utility power when camping...

Found out that 36 volt forum members are few, most do not know 36 volt can be done, why I even have a inverter that is (120v psw) 36 volt!
Having a 12s 100 ah system, (600 watt pv) 35 ft house boat (10,000#). One mppt does all my battery charging. Bms (120 amp) on the 12s does all the work. Battery is in milk creat, weight is just under 60#!
I have a minnkota 3 bank agm 15 amp per battery charger, was wondering if I could use it in series if had excess to shore power? Something to ponder?
15 amps per bank in series would still be 15amps?
3.6 kWh will Run my 12000 btu ac for 7 hrs tested, (Midea) unhooked from solar.
Trolling motor dc refrigerator fan and tv are no problem.

diy solar

diy solar
Back