diy solar

diy solar

3KW on-grid system - Need Help in installation.

newmanx

I am new to this forum and I am in the verge of commissioning my own DIY 3KW solar system. I have done my best in understanding the system how it works, done lot of research by gathering lot of information from this forum and other places in deciding the hardware needed for this project and finally acquired all the components from different dealers/distributors myself to setup the system. I will be hiring an electrician who will follow my advice in setting up the system and I desperately need your expertise advice and suggestions.

SITE:

It is a 5-floor apartment in Bangalore, India with no basement, however we have stilt car parking in the ground floor. I have managed to get approval from my
apartment association to setup rooftop solar panels, they will be taking this as a pilot project, if successful they would go for 20kw system for the
apartment common-area (which will run Lift, 30+ tube lights, submersible pumps etc).

The building is approx 25 meters tall, the overall area is 8000sqft completely free from nearby buildings shadow area. There is a DG in the ground floor,
which powers all flats for limited lighting only, then powers Lift and other common-area connections during power-cuts. The builder has given 2 AC earthing
and 4 earthing for lift. There are no lightning arresters or DC earthing.
My sanction load is 3KW, there are 6 flats in each floor, so total 30 flats of each 3kw load and 20KW load separately for common-area.

PURPOSE:

Like everyone, the primary purpose is to lower the monthly electricity bill from electricity company and be self-dependant and go green.

LOCAL GOVERNANCE:

Unfortunately, I would NOT be getting any subsidy or benefits from local/central governance or electricity company. Neither will they be allowing
me to install Net-Metering as I do not fall under their so-called guidelines. However, I would not need any additional permissions from local authorities
for this project. I am free to select off-grid / on-grid (provided, if I have zero export device) / hybrid system for this project.

I have selected on-grid system with zero export device and below are my hardware

HARDWARE:

#1)
Solis 3kw On-grid Inverter S6-GR1P3K-M (Datasheet)

#2) WAAREE 540Wp 144 Cells Mono PERC Solar Module (Datasheet)

#3) Yuanxing Split Core CTSA016 - CT - Zero Export Device (Datasheet)

#4) ACDB Box - Single Phase 3kw - 2-pole AC SPD + 16A MCB

#5) DCDB Box - 1 in 1 out - DC SPD 600V + DC Fuse 15/25A

#6) Staubli MC-4 connectors

#7) 17.2mm - 2mtr Copper rod for DC Earthing

#8) 50mm - 2mtr copper rod for Lightning arrestor (Earthing)

#9) 4 Spikes 1.5mtr Lightning arrestor

#10) Polycab single core 6 sqmm2 DC Cable

Current Diagram:

303-Solar-config-Final.png

ACDB / DCDB Box:

acdb-dcdb.jpg

Installation:

#1)
I will be raising the frames to 7-8 feet above as it is a mandatory requirement by the apartment association to utilize the space for other flat owners for walking and other activities.

#2) I will be disconnecting DG (Diesel Generator) to my flat which the builder provided for all flats as it is incompatible with the Inverter. However, I am planning to pull a separate cable in the future from the ground floor to my flat with a MCB or change-over switch as a separate kitchen point during power cuts.

#3) This will be on-grid system with zero export and without net metering.

#4) The Load on my flat is connected via 2 UPS/Inverter. One is 1.4KV Pure sine wave with 220Ah Lead acid battery for one of the rooms in my flat and the other is 850VA with 150Ah Lead acid battery for overall flat. This setup will remain intact.

#5) Builder has provided an Earthing for AC for all flats and the on-grid inverter will be connected to the same common AC earthing.

#6) I am making one DC Earthing which will connect all solar panels and the DCDB Box to a 17.2mm copper rod of 2mtr long in the ground.

#7) I am making one Earthing for Lightning arrestor which will connect all 4 Spikes 1.5mtr Lightning arrestor to a 50mm copper rod of 2mtr long in the ground.

#8) The electricity meter is a smart unidirectional meter from electricity company.

Here are some questions:

#1)
I am connecting all 6 panels of 540W as one single series string. I have confirmed with Solis dealer the inverter can handle the load of 3240W input watts or ~300V (max it can handle ~500V) of input DC, keeping the ampere less than 13A. I am using Staubli’s MC-4 connectors and a DCDB Box with a Fuse of up to 600V, I need to know If I can connect an additional MC-4 In-line fuse to the Inverter just to be on much safer side, if so, should I connect only to the positive side or both positive and negative cables.

#2) I am planning to use 8-guage copper wire to connect the Lightning arrestor to the 50mm copper rod grounding. Is this setup fine?

#3) I am planning to connect single core 4 sqmm2 DC cable as earthing for both solar panels and DCDB Box to a 17.2mm copper rod, will this be fine?

#4) I have already purchased 6 sqmm2 from a reputable brand for DC wiring from solar panels to Inverter, the distance is about 25mtr, I hope this is fine?

#5) I need some help in wiring:
  • One end of CT connects to the inverter, while the lock-like thing should be put to Load phase? or which cable?
  • Seeing the ACDB Box picture, can someone explain the wiring that needs to be done? is there earthing connection needed for ACDB box?
  • Seeing the DCDB Box picture, can someone explain the wiring that needs to be done? Where should I give earthing for this box along with positive and negatives?
  • I am planning to install this voltmeter (link) to know the amp / voltage etc, Can anyone help me with wiring as how it has to be wired in my current setup. Since I do not have space in enclosure, I might need a small enclosure.
  • I am planning to install a separate cable from DG for a kitchen point, how can I achieve it without disturbing current setup, also should I use a changeover switch or MCB for this setup?
  • Can I make Neutral common for both Input and Load (output) ?

Attachments

• 303-Solar-config-Final.png
    303-Solar-config-Final.png
    59.8 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Back