diy solar

diy solar

4-160w panels on my van.... Solar charge controller recommendations needed

MartyGras

Hi all
I am installing 4-160 W 12v solar panels on my van that will charge either a 12 V 400ah or 24 V 200ah battery (depending on how I configure the batteries)

Leaning towards the MPP 24 V hybrid solar charge controller inverter. It seems to be the best Value and all in one solution for the money at $600.
The only thing that’s holding me back is Will’s review stated that the unit was quite noisy. Has anyone else installed one of these units and what are your thoughts?

i’m also open to any other suggestions that anyone may have in either 12 or 24 V

Thanks Gary

Are you sure they are 12v panels? That would be over 13 amps which would be very odd.

Getting this number (from the back of your panels) is important to being able to recommend an SCC.

Renogy
160 WATT 12 VOLT MONOCRYSTALLINE SOLAR PANEL
SKU: RNG-160D-SS

Max Power at STC: 160WOpen Circuit Voltage (Voc): 22.9V
Short Circuit Current (Isc): 8.37AOpitmum Operating Voltage (Vmp): 20.2V
Optimum Operating Current (Imp): 7.92AOperating Temperature: -40°C to 90°C
Dimensions: 51.3x25.9x1.38 inWeight: 22.1 lbs

WARRANTY INFORMATION

The marketing numbers are a little different from the specs:

SPECIFICATIONS
Max Power at STC: 160WOpen Circuit Voltage (Voc): 22.9V
Short Circuit Current (Isc): 8.37AOpitmum Operating Voltage (Vmp): 20.2V
Optimum Operating Current (Imp): 7.92AOperating Temperature: -40°C to 90°C
Dimensions: 51.3x25.9x1.38 inWeight: 22.1 lbs

Have you given any thought to how you want to wire the panels (series, parallel, or a combination). I believe most would recommend series (higher volts lower amps), but for some situations (vehicle based, marine, or situations where partial shading is a factor) parallel can make more sense.

How you wire the panels will effect your choice of SCC. As for battery, I would opt for 24v if I were in your shoes.

Something like the Victron smartsolar 100/30 would meet your needs (150/35 or 100/50 would give you a bit more cushion/room for expansion). I have no experience with MPP or AIO solutions, so I can't provide any input there.

The teach-a-man-to-fish answer, is you need to determine what your arrays total Short Circuit Current (Isc) and total Open Circuit Voltage (Voc) is. And choose an SCC that can handle these numbers and (output the desired wattage). Here is a more in depth explanation from victron:

There are two limits, when determining the maximum array size that can be connected to an MPPT:
  1. The Maximum PV open circuit voltage (Voc at STC)
  2. The Maximum PV short circuit current (Isc at STC)
Both values are specified in the datasheets of all our MPPT Solar Charge Controllers. Those two ratings of the PV array must not exceed these MPPT limits.
Note that these two maximum ratings must not be multiplied to determine the maximum installable peak power. Instead, each of them needs to checked by itself:
Determining the maximum PV open circuit voltage

First look at the datasheets of the solar panels to see what their maximum open circuit voltage is. Then multiply that by the number of panels that are in series in the array. The result of the multiplication must not be higher than the Maximum PV open circuit voltage as listed on the MPPT Datasheet. Make sure to take into account the coldest expected temperature. The colder it is, the higher the open circuit voltage on a PV array will be.
Determining the maximum PV short circuit current

Get the maximum PV short circuit current from the PV Panel datasheet. Multiply by the number of panels in parallel in the array. Having more panels in series does not change the number.
The result of the calculation may not exceed the Max PV short circuit current as specified in the MPPT Datasheet.

Good luck and enjoy sizing the BlueSolar MPPT Charge Controller!

Have you given any thought to how you want to wire the panels (series, parallel, or a combination). I believe most would recommend series (higher volts lower amps), but for some situations (vehicle based, marine, or situations where partial shading is a factor) parallel can make more sense.

How you wire the panels will effect your choice of SCC. As for battery, I would opt for 24v if I were in your shoes.

Something like the Victron smartsolar 100/30 would meet your needs (150/35 or 100/50 would give you a bit more cushion/room for expansion). I have no experience with MPP or AIO solutions, so I can't provide any input there.

The teach-a-man-to-fish answer, is you need to determine what your arrays total Short Circuit Current (Isc) and total Open Circuit Voltage (Voc) is. And choose an SCC that can handle these numbers and (output the desired wattage). Here is a more in depth explanation from victron:
Thanks for your great reply.
I’m going to run two panels in series connected parallel to two other panels in series....I’m going with the MPP 24 V hybrid unit that Will recommends.... waiting for my batteries to arrive but I’m building a 200ah 24v Battery using prismatic cells and a daily BMS

Thanks for your great reply.
I’m going to run two panels in series connected parallel to two other panels in series....I’m going with the MPP 24 V hybrid unit that Will recommends.... waiting for my batteries to arrive but I’m building a 200ah 24v Battery using prismatic cells and a daily BMS

Sounds like you've got it all figured out (y)

diy solar

diy solar
Back