diy solar

diy solar

4 Post Buss Bar, 5 Connections

riverbug

How bad is it to double up two lugs on one post of a buss bar? I bought 4 post buss bars. I have 4 batteries wiring in parallel. I also need the cable going downstream to the t-class fuse, then cutoff switch, then Lynx Power-in, then Multiplus. Will there be any negative effect if one post has a lug from the battery and a lug for that downstream cable? Or is it better to return the buss bars and find 5 or 6 stud bars? When ordered I was just thinking of the 4 batteries.

I would pair up the batteries with two lugs and the load between them on a middle stud.
I believe 4 lug stack is a practical maximum. Largest load direct on the bar. Light loads at the top of the stack.
Lugs should have direct contact to each other if stacked and the bottom direct on the bar... no washers or spacers.

I think t2r suggestion works just fine. But if it were me the double stacked lugs would bother my ocd. I use a power in for 4 batteries then off the exposed tabs of the Power-in feed to class t fuse, then to cut off switch, then Lynx distributor, then multiplus.

I would pair up the batteries with two lugs and the load between them on a middle stud.
I believe 4 lug stack is a practical maximum. Largest load direct on the bar. Light loads at the top of the stack.
Lugs should have direct contact to each other if stacked and the bottom direct on the bar... no washers or spacers.
Just to clarify, you mean to crimp a pair of the wires into one lug large enough to accommodate them? Then do that for the other pair as well, so I'll end up using 3 of the 4 studs, correct?

Just to clarify, you mean to crimp a pair of the wires into one lug large enough to accommodate them? Then do that for the other pair as well, so I'll end up using 3 of the 4 studs, correct?

I think he was suggesting stacking lugs one on top of the other

But you could possibly crimp 2 wires into one lug, if you're careful..., you've just got to make sure the lug is nice and full of copper , perhaps double/triple folt the cable

I think t2r suggestion works just fine. But if it were me the double stacked lugs would bother my ocd. I use a power in for 4 batteries then off the exposed tabs of the Power-in feed to class t fuse, then to cut off switch, then Lynx distributor, then multiplus.

No. Stack the lugs.
Okay got it. Stack pairs of lugs on studs to each side of the load stud. Thanks!

How bad is it to double up two lugs on one post of a buss bar? I bought 4 post buss bars. I have 4 batteries wiring in parallel. I also need the cable going downstream to the t-class fuse, then cutoff switch, then Lynx Power-in, then Multiplus. Will there be any negative effect if one post has a lug from the battery and a lug for that downstream cable? Or is it better to return the buss bars and find 5 or 6 stud bars? When ordered I was just thinking of the 4.
Marinco brand…great boat and marine gear….not many companies make a 5 post buss with high amp ratings. 4 post are all over the place but not good 5 post ones.
5 x 3/8 in post.. heavy duty copper bar…….650 amp with excellent cover…I have several for exactly what you’re trying to do with 4 parallel batts….mine are used as a battery buss on pos and neg sides going to the 8 post distribution buss bars … no stacking .
about 95 ish dollars each……
im sure there are other ways but I’m happy with this. Good luck..
J.

Attachments

• IMG_0637.png
    IMG_0637.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 10
Back