diy solar

diy solar

40kW worth of panels seeking hybrid inverter to match

As mentioned, I think we've decided to go with an MPPT RS 450/200 from Victron to supply batteries and then two Fronius Symo 20kW, might even go down to the 17's as some of the PV is going into the Victron anyway.
The all in ones are simply not worth it and too small/expensive compared to my current selection of gear.

I was just going to suggest not using an all in one after reading the first posts in the thread. Since you're also connecting to the grid (even if you're not sending to the grid), I wouldn't use MUST in this case. Go with something known in Denmark, like Victron and Fronius as you wrote. Yes, it will cost more, but in this case I wouldn't try to go cheap on those components. If you're fully off grid in the middle of nowhere like me, it's a different story.

By the way, distance from Copenhagen to where I am is about 1500km or so in a straight line, so even for a Texan it's a bit of a distance :)

Check out the various Deye inverters. If you have 3 phase then two or three of their 12kW 3phase hybrid units would be good. They support a max PV open circuit voltage of 800V which will make stringing much easier than using a bunch of charge controllers.

If you have single phase, then they have a 16kW single phase hybrid inverter that isn't listed on their website, but should be available now or pretty soon. 2 of those should work.

I guess if you are now planning to be off grid the time control would no longer be of any concern, however Home Assistant and Node-red would be my suggestion. Victron would probably be the easiest to control in this way. However I am planning to try and control my Deye inverters in a similar way. Not 100% sure it will work yet though.

I'm in New Zealand and we also have various time of use tariffs depending on which electricity retailer you use and where you live.
Just took a quick peek and they are interesting too, a bit on the expensive side for 3 three phase though. Costs will run into same territory as Fronius/victron setup, which takes away from them. I'll put them on the maybe list :p

I was just going to suggest not using an all in one after reading the first posts in the thread. Since you're also connecting to the grid (even if you're not sending to the grid), I wouldn't use MUST in this case. Go with something known in Denmark, like Victron and Fronius as you wrote. Yes, it will cost more, but in this case I wouldn't try to go cheap on those components. If you're fully off grid in the middle of nowhere like me, it's a different story.

By the way, distance from Copenhagen to where I am is about 1500km or so in a straight line, so even for a Texan it's a bit of a distance :)
I agree. I am not trying to be cheap, just trying to find an optimal solution with the limitations that are imposed on me, like picking gear from an arbitrary list and being limited by the fuses coming into the house :S

Just took a quick peek and they are interesting too, a bit on the expensive side for 3 three phase though. Costs will run into same territory as Fronius/victron setup, which takes away from them. I'll put them on the maybe list :p
That's interesting. I was originally planning to got for a Victron/fronius setup for my 15kw system, however the victron multiplus 2 is no longer approved for grid connected use here in New Zealand and Australia so I have gone for the Deye instead.

Anyway, the 3 Deye units I went for will end up being about half the cost of an equivalent fronius and victron setup.

I'd recommend 3 12kW Deye inverters as well, they went on the grid-allowed list in Estonia recently. Considering Denmark is also in the Nord Pool market, it should meet the required specs there as well, they are probably just awaiting some certification or local interest, so you can probably sell back to the grid some day in the near future. This way you can set 2 of them to sell to the grid (3x35A), while still being able to use up to 40kW of power yourself. And they have the "no export" feature as well, until the necessary paperwork is in order.

I'd recommend 3 12kW Deye inverters as well, they went on the grid-allowed list in Estonia recently. Considering Denmark is also in the Nord Pool market, it should meet the required specs there as well, they are probably just awaiting some certification or local interest, so you can probably sell back to the grid some day in the near future. This way you can set 2 of them to sell to the grid (3x35A), while still being able to use up to 40kW of power yourself. And they have the "no export" feature as well, until the necessary paperwork is in order.

That's probably the route I'll take, just looking to work with Sunsynk instead. Asked them if they wanted to do a collab on a big residential installation with multiple inverters etc :D

That's probably the route I'll take, just looking to work with Sunsynk instead. Asked them if they wanted to do a collab on a big residential installation with multiple inverters etc :D
Hi da9el84

Is your system up and running? Which components did you install for the mppt and inverter/charger? ..any great photos?

I am also in DK. I am building a home solar system with the aim to keep all generated power on-site by charging up a battery bank first and then afterwards extra power will heat water. I hope to only need partial grid power during the shortest winter months.

I have experience with Victron and I am leaning towards one of the larger Muliplus-II in a 3 phase configuration (I have built a marine system with their products and feel comfortable with the product.) but I am a little unsure what is compliant in the home. You had a great link to compliant inverters but the link is broken. Is there any chance that you have the .pdf.

Thank you for anything you can share.

Hi da9el84

Is your system up and running? Which components did you install for the mppt and inverter/charger? ..any great photos?

I am also in DK. I am building a home solar system with the aim to keep all generated power on-site by charging up a battery bank first and then afterwards extra power will heat water. I hope to only need partial grid power during the shortest winter months.

I have experience with Victron and I am leaning towards one of the larger Muliplus-II in a 3 phase configuration (I have built a marine system with their products and feel comfortable with the product.) but I am a little unsure what is compliant in the home. You had a great link to compliant inverters but the link is broken. Is there any chance that you have the .pdf.

Thank you for anything you can share.
Hi SV,

Nearly there :D
I ended up with 3x Deye 12kW SG04LP3 inverters and I was in the midst of the governmental approval process for them, along with Deye, when someone else beat me to the punch, but no matter, the goal was the approval of the inverters so we could export excess power :D

I am part of a large group buy in Denmark, and I only have 1 out of 3 inverters so far, but pretty much everything is ready for them to come and be plugged in. All solar panels are installed.

1665992859435.png

1665992987476.png

1665993003845.png

1665993041217.png

1665993069527.png

1665993098058.png

1665993173609.png

Regarding Victron, I was looking at them as well, but as soon as you need to build a little larger, the price just skyrockets. I think it's the most expensive system on the market to scale up, which is unfortunate, because I sort of like their setup.

The positive lists can be found here: https://www.danskenergi.dk/vejledning/nettilslutning/positivlister in the right hand side, for both hybrid and non-hybrid inverters, because why not create multiple lists and confuse people, courtesy of the Danish government.......

If you are interested in DIY, then you should definitely go to this group on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/163970821084259 they both sell all needed equipment for solar installs, but there is a lot of knowledge in that group as well both for on-grid and off-grid. I even wrote a guide for that group, you can find it here: guide.solcelleinfo.com

Thanks for all of the info. Your setup is impressive! I was in looking at the Multi-II 48/8000 or 48/10000 in 3 phase. I wonder why the apporoval list stops at the 5000.

Do you know, If I do not allow export then are those lists irrelevant?

Thanks for all of the info. Your setup is impressive! I was in looking at the Multi-II 48/8000 or 48/10000 in 3 phase. I wonder why the apporoval list stops at the 5000.

Do you know, If I do not allow export then are those lists irrelevant?

You're welcome and thanks.
I wouldn't know, you'll have to ask Victron Denmark.

If the system is grid tied and export is possible on the port connected to the grid, then you need to have it approved. Simply setting 0 export wont suffice.

Looking good. Totally off-grid with two Sol-Ark (Deye) 12K's and ten batteries. I'd want at least twice your battery capacity for your three inverters.

If the system is grid tied and export is possible on the port connected to the grid, then you need to have it approved. Simply setting 0 export wont suffice.

It would seem that there ought to be a compliant anti islanding anti export hardware device that could be installed upstream if Victron can't get their larger Multiplus-II certified. I saw the Ziehl UFR1001E device but unfortunately I don't see a Danish certificate, yet other Nord Pool countries have one.

Back