diy solar

diy solar

If your Victron already has GFCI on its AC output, so why do you want to have outlet extension with GFCI? What are you trying to accomplish?

Because the outlet of the inverter is inside the enclosure and I need to run an extension to get outside of it. Or would that be redundant? I thought redundancy is good around here?

The Victron Phoenix only has outlets, there is no terminal block to wire directly to.
I am confused, so the AC outlet of the Victron inverter is an GFCI outlet, correct? If it does then all you have to do is to plug in the outlet extension and no need to have GFCI on that extension since it will be redundant. You cannot plug that extension outlet into the GFCI outlet of the Victron? or you are trying to hardwire to the GFCI outlet of the Victron? Most GFCI outlet, it will have 'Load terminal' that will let you hard wire the output of the GFCI so the other outlet down the line will be protected by the GFCI.
I have Victron Pheonix 1200VA/1000W but it does not have GFCI.
Do you have the exact model or the link to the user manual.

Last edited:
Short ans
Can I DIY a GFCI version of this and plug it into the Victron Phoenix with GFCI and expect everything to work? I have seen Will take an extension cord and wire it to the AC input of a Growatt or similar.
Yes, that should just work as expected. As long as you wire it correctly at the GFCI outlet. I know in certain regions that work is still meant to be done by a qualified electrician. But effectively it's the same as plugging a powerboard with a long extension, or am I missing what you're asking?

If you have a working GFIC outlet, you can just plug in an extension cord, power strip, or whatever and everything plugged into it is GFIC protected.
You just have to go back to the GFIC outlet to test and reset it.

You could hang a GFIC off a GFIC. If you test or trip the remote GFIC, it might trip the upstream GFIC and you would have to visit it anyway to reset.

If you make a GFIC with a plug (portable GFIC), it is supposed to be an "all pole" GFIC. If you use a GFIC outlet that only interrupts "Hot" not "Neutral", and the outlet you plug it into is wired backwards, you have no protection. "Portable GFIC" that you can buy are all pole.

Last edited:
I am not trying to comply with OSHA lol, I am just making a milk crate. My output from the inverter is GFCI already but the inverter will be inside the box and I don't want to mount the inverter flush with the side to give me an external outlet, hence the need to make an extension cord. But I will put a bubble cover on it to make someone happy lol

All you have to do is plug an extension cord into the GFIC outlet. The extension cord outlet will be protected too.

You could wire an extension circuit, maybe cut extension cord as Bud suggested, to the correct terminals of GFIC outlet.

So I saw this product at Walmart in the self checkout lane:

View attachment 113580

Can I DIY a GFCI version of this and plug it into the Victron Phoenix with GFCI and expect everything to work? I have seen Will take an extension cord and wire it to the AC input of a Growatt or similar.

No need to DIY anything, just buy that product and plug it in.
(but do not exceed its rated current; if too low get a heavier power strip or extension cord.)

Reactions: ...
Two GFCIs in line is fine you just can’t be sure which one will trip

Here I have 4 RCBO s in my marina between me and the input power !!!

Does anyone know if it is possible to hard wire a Phoenix inverter. Can you remove the AC outlet and wire it to an AC circuit box and then connect outlets from there?

Does anyone know if it is possible to hard wire a Phoenix inverter. Can you remove the AC outlet and wire it to an AC circuit box and then connect outlets from there?
Sure you can but it will void warranty. What kind of outlet does it have right now and which Phoenix inverter do you have?

I haven't bought one yet, but I am looking at the 12/2000. I would like the GFCI outlet but I am only able to find the NEMA 5-15R outlet here in the United States.

Can you give the link to this model? I do not see Phoenix 2000W model with NEMA5-15R outlets which is rated for 15A (1800W), not for 2000W.

Can you give the link to this model? I do not see Phoenix 2000W model with NEMA5-15R outlets which is rated for 15A (1800W), not for 2000W.

I don't think Victron has a 110v Phoenix for the states that goes up to 2000VA. Those are all the 230v ones. The Phoenix Smarts or what not. :(

Back