diy solar

diy solar

Cable Help

Bongerscc

I really need to know what wire size I should be using to do short runs from 12volt Iifepo4 100ah Battery
I am getting very mixed wire sizes from voltage drop calculators. I am making a small solar generator roiling chart.
I have already changed to this inverter from an 2000watt pure size wave.

I am already going with 8awg solar wire, that is rated for my Victron 100/50 control as max current, running max 6awg wire out of the controller out.

I really do not think I am going to be using a lot of wire from the inverter, batteries, fuses, breakers, bus bars, etc.

Just need some help here. Some sites say 1/0awg and others say 10awg, that does not make since to me. I know the cable is short runs and all. I am am did some math at 90% and overage showing 120 amp wire will do the job?

CB

Last edited:
Minimum voltage is 10v
Maximum output is 1000w
1000 ÷ 10 = 100a (not counting losses)
You didn't give a length.
My recommendations
3 AWG for up to 6'.
2 AWG for up to 8'.
1 AWG for up to 10'.
1/0 AWG for up to 13'.
2/0 AWG for up to 16'.

Minimum voltage is 10v
Maximum output is 1000w
1000 ÷ 10 = 100a (not counting losses)
You didn't give a length.
My recommendations
3 AWG for up to 6'.
2 AWG for up to 8'.
1 AWG for up to 10'.
1/0 AWG for up to 13'.
2/0 AWG for up to 16'.
Maybe a foot to the battery to the inverter, On/Off switch, buss bars, and all of that in the mix. No more than 3 feet all together.

Voltage drop is a killer in a 12 volt system, so I would go with the #2 to be on the safe side. I am using #2 for my 100 amp connections in my 48 volt system. And where my 2 battery banks join, it steps up to 2/0 to the inverter. A 0.6 volt drop at 12 volts is 5% loss. On a 48 volt system, the same 0.6 volt drop is only 1.25% loss.

So far with my small systems (10ft or less) I have just used the windy nation welding wire and their cable chart.

Different types of cables and sheathes make for different ampacity. Most charts are for 1000ft runs although I have found a few that list for 25ft runs. Simplest to just follow the chart below and not worry about it unless the run is long.

For my 2000w inverter/UPS system I used #2 wire. Diagram also below. MRBF fuse/holder on the post rated at 175amps. Expected max wattage is about 1200w or so which is far less than the cables can handle. If I had a second battery in parallel I would use a second MRBF and if adding more I would use a bus bar with MRBF at the busbar end and the battery post and a class T between the busbar and the inverter.

What is it you plan to power? From the price I would bet that 1000w inverter is more like a 300w inverter dispite what it claims. The included wire size of 7awg is telling because it will only carry about 50 amps which is 640watts at 12v. The reviews are telling when the only one for that specific model is titled "SCAM SCAM SCAM!!!!!"

This inverter includes a built in 40amp charger. I will eventually add a MPPT connected to the battery post and a few 200w panels.

1715202251530.png1715202493710.png

Last edited:
So far with my small systems (10ft or less) I have just used the windy nation welding wire and their cable chart.

Than you for the info. Yep I will have to test that inverter and make sure that it is going to work for what I need. Not really running much on the AC of things at this point. I was watching Reviews and this one older man was putting this brand through alot and has been unsing them for years and compairs them to others. So, I thouht I would be them a try. I did get there 2000 watt on in but man that thing is big and the wire size for it for it to run it. At the cost of $166 12v 2000 watt, just did not make since for this build. But for $79 12v 1000 I was like save the money, cables smaller save money and maybe do 24 volt later. I just have alot to think about. I have already reached out to batter company and they told me they would take my 100ah back and I could switch it out.

Back