diy solar

diy solar

48V Batteries

RGMintle

I have an O'Day 27' sailboat that is powered with a SolidNav electric motor with 4, 12V 190 Ahr batteries wired in series making 48V. I would like to install solar panels to charge this large array of batteries, but do not have a lot of space for solar panels (maybe only 1 or 2), so I know the charge rate will be low. Please let me know if you have any experience with this sort of marine solar panel installation. Thanks. -Ron

I have an O'Day 27' sailboat that is powered with a SolidNav electric motor with 4, 12V 190 Ahr batteries wired in series making 48V. I would like to install solar panels to charge this large array of batteries, but do not have a lot of space for solar panels (maybe only 1 or 2), so I know the charge rate will be low. Please let me know if you have any experience with this sort of marine solar panel installation. Thanks. -Ron
Well, you are going to need 36V panels in series to do it with two panels... and it will not charge much until mid morning due to sun angle...
you could search for 72V panels and use parallel... hens teeth...

If these are lead acid batteries, you need to recharge in less than 96 hours, as the lead crystals set on the plates and harden up.

If they are Li batteries, charge at a reasonable rate that will have them full for the next trip.

Same problem here. Im trying to figure out the design of my sailboat electrics with a 48V LiFePo battery.

Theres no solution to charge a higher voltage battery with low voltage panels without having to put them in series?
Cause I dont think putting in series is a solution for me because of shades.

Back