diy solar

diy solar

48V battery bank to 12V inverter

Ace6879

I want to have a 48V battery bank that can power a 12V inverter. Can I use a 48V DC to 12V DC converter for this?

I want to have a 48V battery bank that can power a 12V inverter. Can I use a 48V DC to 12V DC converter for this?
You could, but you would probably need a few of them, or a really hefty one depending on the size of the 12v inverter and the load you want to run on it.

I’d probably get a 3000W inverter but most likely would only power things that total 1500-2000W. What kind of specs should I be looking for with a DC-DC converter for this?

I like the inverter I currently have and my charge controller is capable of 5200W of solar but only with a 48V system

Please remember that the DC-DC converter must be capable of any surge currents the inverter will try to supply to the loads. Also, there will be an efficiency loss of ~10% for the DC-DC converter and another loss of ~10% to ~15% for the inverter. 48V pure sine inverters are around the same price as 12V inverters.

I’d probably get a 3000W inverter but most likely would only power things that total 1500-2000W. What kind of specs should I be looking for with a DC-DC converter for this?
Divide the wattage you want to run (plus conversion/inverter overhead of say 20%) by 12v.

2000w + 400w = 2400w. 2400w / 12 = 200amps.

You would need to supply somewhere around 200amps (not exactly, because you would probably be supplying closer to 13.8-14v to your 12v inverter..) of 12v dc power to your 12v inverter.

You are better off buying a 48v inverter, it would likely cost less and be less complicated.

Alternatively, get a 48v to 12v dc to dc charger and charge some 12v batteries to use with the 12v inverter. You could get by with a smaller dc to dc charger that way, assuming your average loads are lower than your charge rate. I'm assuming you already have some 12v batteries.. unless you are using them in series to make 48v.

Last edited:
Please remember that the DC-DC converter must be capable of any surge currents the inverter will try to supply to the loads. Also, there will be an efficiency loss of ~10% for the DC-DC converter and another loss of ~10% to ~15% for the inverter. 48V pure sine inverters are around the same price as 12V inverters.
Any 48v inverters that you could recommend that don’t have GFCI? I had to disable mine since Renogy already has the ground bonded within the unit.

Check out what one of the WZRELB inverters has on it.. A spark proof nut, that's actually pretty nice for when you first hook it up if you don't ever use any breakers / switches you flip off for long periods of time.

1720398014748.jpeg

I just say Reliable Electric, because that's its name. (YueQing Reliable Electric)
For some reason they don't have WZRELB as the product brand name on that one. I meant pronouncing WZRELB would be a challenge. Anybody can pronounce YueQing.. :ROFLMAO:

I like the inverter I currently have and my charge controller is capable of 5200W of solar but only with a 48V system
I thought you said you'd get an inverter, which sounds like you don't already have one.

diy solar

diy solar
Back