diy solar

diy solar

48v lithium shore power charger

Radioman

Hello, I‘m new to the forum. I’ve been watching Will’s YouTube channel quite a bit. I think he’s forgotten more about solar power systems then I’ll ever know. Very smart young man.
My question is can anyone recommend a 120v to 48v charger for my lithium battery bank? Batteries are 16s4p. Cells are Fortune 100ah x 64. Voltage runs at about 52v. Inverter is 48v in 8000w out. I‘m not looking to charge at 200 amps. Something that would bring the bank from 50% to 100% in 5 to 6 hours. Any recommendations will be greatly appreciated. Thank You!

If I am reading this correct, your whole battery bank works out to 51.2 volt (16 x 3.2) and 400 Amp Hours (4 x 100).
That is a total of 20 KWH's. You want 50% of that in 5 hours. 10,000 / 5 = 2000 watts of charge power.

What are you using for an inverter? Does it have charging capability? For 2 KW charging, I would think something like a Schneider SW-4448 inverter/charger as it can be programmed very accurately to your battery bank to very safely and quickly charge it without any fear of damage. But they are not cheap, and you don't need it to be an inverter. But this would be a solid 4,000 watt inverter also.

Another much cheaper option might be to use three (or even 4) 10 amp E-bike/golf cart chargers. I picked up a 58.8 volt 10 amp one for for about $120 that I use for my E-Bike packs, and also used it on my 17 KWH 14S Li NMC pack. They do have them for 58.4 if you want to fully top up your LFP pack, but I have not found one over 6 amps on Amazon. If you want to play it a bit safer, they do have the 13S 4.2 version which will go to 54.6 volt CV which would be 3.4125 volts per cell on your 16S LFP bank. It won't get you 100%, but if it stays charging all night, it won't harm the batteries. And yes, you can parallel the chargers. In the CC phase, their currents will add, so 10 + 10 + 10 = 30 amps at 50 volts = 1500 watts. 4 of them would hit your 2,000 watts. Each one will need about 600 watts in. Over 5 amps at 120 volt. Mine will also run on 240 volt if that is available. Here is the listing I found.

My 58.8 volt one os from these guys and it works fine. Fan is a bit noisy though.

Good morning all,

I'm in the planning phase of refitting a sailboat with an all electric system to replace the Diesel engine. I plan on building 3 - 48v/150ah LFP battery banks for a total 450ah.

I'm looking for recommendations of charging methods that are reasonably priced. Ideally I need a 110/220v system that can reused in the U.S. and in Europe. Most of the ones I have found were not ideal for a marine environment and were only 20-25 amps which would require 20+ hours to charge a drained system.

Below are two that I am considering and I prefer the second however I'd like to save some money.

Here are the ones I've been looking at:

$595.00

$2,000.00+

Any suggestions?

Something that would bring the bank from 50% to 100% in 5 to 6 hours. Any recommendations will be greatly appreciated. Thank You!
Cheapest is a DIY server power supply mod as listed in my sig. You would need to strap 4 of them in series, for ~850-1000w so 2x of those if you want to be in the 1500-2000w charging range. (8x PSU)

You didnt say what you had for solar charge controllers. In order not to risk killing the batteries I'd likely run that DC output (from the PSU) into my SCC. However 100+ amp SCC are pricey. (however you should already have one?)

As I doubt this is a 8kw Tier1 brand inverter. An option is also to sell the existing china inverter with whatever SCC your currently useing and use those funds plus what you would have spent on trying to DIY a grid charging solution and just buy 2x of 3kw growatt all-in-one. (~$1400 total)

Dual 3kw 48v growatts gives you 80a of grid charging (120v) (so you better have something like a 12kw genset to pull that off... I dont know how you get a 80amp "extension cord")

Last edited:
Put this into your compare bin. It's got PFC which you will want to keep the input RMS currents under control. Compare others to this and see how it works. I'm going to use one or two of these on my 480ah setup - unless something better comes along. Good luck.

Hello, I‘m new to the forum. I’ve been watching Will’s YouTube channel quite a bit. I think he’s forgotten more about solar power systems then I’ll ever know. Very smart young man.
My question is can anyone recommend a 120v to 48v charger for my lithium battery bank? Batteries are 16s4p. Cells are Fortune 100ah x 64. Voltage runs at about 52v. Inverter is 48v in 8000w out. I‘m not looking to charge at 200 amps. Something that would bring the bank from 50% to 100% in 5 to 6 hours. Any recommendations will be greatly appreciated. Thank You!
200A charging at 48V means you're going to need something in the neighborhood of a 10000 watt charger and at 120V you're looking at a 85A source. Thats a HECK of a lot of power with really thick cables, 240V brings that down to a more reasonable 42.5 amp source.

Meanwell makes a 3200W charger for about $650 that'll output 55A, its a "DBU-3200" or a "DBR-3200" and you can parallel them. They'll work at 120 or 240, interestingly they'll also work using DC power.

Back