diy solar

diy solar

48v vs 12v Lifepower in RV camper for EG4 Chargeverter

Garrick

I’m building a new camper and used four 12V Lifepo4s in my last two. I’m looking at 2-4 48V Lifepowers (still debating on rack) so I can use the EG4 Chargeverter to charge from my generator AND pull max power from level 2 EV car charging stations (via J1772 port outside) AND 50A/30A powered campsites. (Also wouldn’t mind the capability of charging via 110.)

Would love some thoughts/help/discussion on these ideas.

Not a huge fan of the 3-bay rack (the 6 is too big for the interior) because I’d like to be able to start with 2 and add as needs increase (air conditioning) and budget allows. I’d also like flexibility in battery orientation (possibly mount side-by-side for example), so I’m thinking about how to combine with longer runs to bus bars.

Please help!

I’m building a new camper and used four 12V Lifepo4s in my last two. I’m looking at 2-4 48V Lifepowers (still debating on rack) so I can use the EG4 Chargeverter to charge from my generator AND pull max power from level 2 EV car charging stations (via J1772 port outside) AND 50A/30A powered campsites. (Also wouldn’t mind the capability of charging via 110.)

Would love some thoughts/help/discussion on these ideas.

Not a huge fan of the 3-bay rack (the 6 is too big for the interior) because I’d like to be able to start with 2 and add as needs increase (air conditioning) and budget allows. I’d also like flexibility in battery orientation (possibly mount side-by-side for example), so I’m thinking about how to combine with longer runs to bus bars.

Please help!
Which inverter?

Which inverter?
Haven’t decided, but possibly/probably an all in one EG4:

What about stacking the batteries vertical left to right? I do like the 3 stack rack.

The trick is getting equal length wire path for all the batteries. Harder to do when they are spread all over. Daisy chain is the easiest, but requires more wire.

The trick is getting equal length wire path for all the batteries. Harder to do when they are spread all over. Daisy chain is the easiest, but requires more wire.
Did you mean a star configuration(parallel)? Daisy chain(series) should require less wire.

I don't think adding charging from Level 2 EV stations is effective for a trailer. For a camper van maybe.

If this is a from-scratch build then 48 volt may be the way to go. If you can avoid 12 volt devices altogether in the camper then you'll have no need for a 48-12 converter. But there just aren't that many 48 volt DC devices for an RV.

Back