diy solar

diy solar

4kW Off-Grid Solar System. Breaker/Cable/Fuse Sizing Help Please.

offgrid novice

I'm from Australia, and I have a 4kW solar array (16x 250W 12V panels in series, 22.5Voc each, 19V 13A normal), connected to 4x 12V 300Ah LiFePO4 batteries in series, and a PIP-5048MG MPPSolar inverter. I will only be powering a single outlet 240V 10A (2400W max) with this setup. The outlet has a surge-protected powerboard that runs non-stop day and night, powering many freezers/fridges/computers, but never would exceed 2.4kW at any point. Daily solar output slightly exceeds daily usage of 10-20kWh, unless it is raining/cloudy.

1. Solar cabling is 10AWG from panels to inverter over 10m distance.
2. MC4 inline fuses at array are 20A, and MC4 inline fuses at inverter PV connection are 30A.
3. Battery bank has 2AWG cabling for everything, as follows: 20mm series cables x3. And 1200mm end cables x2 which connect to inverter.
4. Circuit breaker is 100A on the 1200mm positive cable between battery bank and inverter.
5. Outlet coming from inverter is simply the female end of a standard AU extension cable 240V 10A cut in half, which I plug my powerboard into.
6. AC bypass input going into the inverter is simply the other male end of a standard AU extension cable 240V 10A cut in half, which I have plugged into any random household outlet. When batteries get too low from rainy days, the inverter automatically switches over to drawing power from that household outlet.
7. AC breakers on each of those male and female cables are 240V 15A each.

I'm wondering if I skimped too much on the sizing of cables/breaker/fuses? Will be connecting it all together soon, but wanted some advice if I've done something wrong.

In the future, if the above sizing permits it, would it be possible to add just one more identical outlet 240V 10A for a second powerboard? I certainly wouldn't be trying to have daily usage exceeding solar output, but just might like to occasionally run some high-powered appliances (under 2.4kW) like toaster/kettle/air conditioner/heater/water pump on a second outlet if solar production is excessive in summer. Will not be feeding anything to grid.

Many thanks,
Ryan

Back