diy solar

diy solar

4S or 2S2P for most solar production.

I've read through that, and most of the examples are so far off from what I'm going to be running that I can't see them as comparable. But that's OK. I'll start with 2S2P and give it time and see what happens.
You could test for us?

Trouble is not everyone is in the situation where they can choose between the two, sometimes you have to go series to meet MPPT start up, or parallel to keep under max PV voltage

Personally I'm waiting for a $50 optimizer/RSD to come out that can allow parallel style performance with a series string, that can be DC coupled into a hybrid. Basically a cheap SolarEdge that is interoperable, price competitive with NEP/APsystems/HoyMiles micros. Neither of which SolarEdge satisfies

Maybe the SolArk optimizer will be in this price range.

You could test for us?

Trouble is not everyone is in the situation where they can choose between the two, sometimes you have to go series to meet MPPT start up, or parallel to keep under max PV voltage
Nope. That would require time and money in not willing to spend at this time.

That's exactly my situation. I'll stick with 2S2P and an AIO that can use that well, based on both my budget and my current situation.

Personally I'm waiting for a $50 optimizer/RSD to come out that can allow parallel style performance with a series string, that can be DC coupled into a hybrid. Basically a cheap SolarEdge that is interoperable, price competitive with NEP/APsystems/HoyMiles micros. Neither of which SolarEdge satisfies

Maybe the SolArk optimizer will be in this price range.
I've only learned about "optimizers" in the past few days. I'm very uninterested at this time. If I had a big, complicated install? Maybe. 4 panels on my RV? Nope. LOL

I've only learned about "optimizers" in the past few days. I'm very uninterested at this time. If I had a big, complicated install? Maybe. 4 panels on my RV? Nope. LOL
Well if you believe some people in the other thread MPPT search are really dumb and so bypass diodes work worse than people expect for single panel shaded on 4s, and you really need at least 75% output from those panels to meet performance goals, then you would need 4p, optimizers, or microinverters to achieve that goal.

Well if you believe some people in the other thread MPPT search are really dumb and so bypass diodes work worse than people expect for single panel shaded on 4s, and you really need at least 75% output from those panels to meet performance goals, then you would need 4p, optimizers, or microinverters to achieve that goal.
Sure, but they can be added in later if necessary. I'm kind of in "minimum to get commissioned" mode, especially since I expect to make mistakes, and prefer to fail fast and add inexpensively as possible. I'm a solar n00b, but I've built a lot of stuff way more complicated, so, I'll keep it simple for now and expand as my knowledge and money allow.

Sure, but they can be added in later if necessary. I'm kind of in "minimum to get commissioned" mode, especially since I expect to make mistakes, and prefer to fail fast and add inexpensively as possible. I'm a solar n00b, but I've built a lot of stuff way more complicated, so, I'll keep it simple for now and expand as my knowledge and money allow.
Yeah that's fine and on top of that the hardware is getting a lot better/better performance and capability for the price so there's an argument to not over invest up front.

You probably get like 80-90% of your production potential from your description of shading in OP, and you can also just move the RV a little within its parking area if it really sucks.

MPPT search are really dumb and so bypass diodes work worse than people expect for single panel shaded on 4s
To be clear I can't imagine the search algos being that bad in such a simple string config (granted if that's 4s of half cuts the effective string complexity is "doubled").

I don't think anyone on that thread stepped up to do a proper experiment with iteration on findings (I think Will got busy too with more important stuff).

Yeah that's fine and on top of that the hardware is getting a lot better/better performance and capability for the price so there's an argument to not over invest up front.

You probably get like 80-90% of your production potential from your description of shading in OP, and you can also just move the RV a little within its parking area if it really sucks.
It got moved to a more convenient winter spot. (much shorter water line and sewer line, easier to keep from freezing.) It also happens to be in a better spot for less afternoon shade. Slightly worse morning shade, but not by much.

To be clear I can't imagine the search algos being that bad in such a simple string config (granted if that's 4s of half cuts the effective string complexity is "doubled").

I don't think anyone on that thread stepped up to do a proper experiment with iteration on findings (I think Will got busy too with more important stuff).
Yup. But, it takes time and effort to do that, abd not everyone has ample of both. And money.

I haven't seen one SCC that could work well at 80V and also at 200V. That's the rub with me.

Yup. But, it takes time and effort to do that, abd not everyone has ample of both. And money.

Even if someone sends me a free SCC and battery to test with the uninstalled half cuts I have in my garage right now, I probably wouldn't do it because I have other things I want to do with my time :laugh: For various reasons.
I haven't seen one SCC that could work well at 80V and also at 200V. That's the rub with me.
Midnite Classic 200? Starting voltage is 1.33 * battery voltage. It works with basically any battery voltage. Costs more than an AIO though.

Even if someone sends me a free SCC and battery to test with the uninstalled half cuts I have in my garage right now, I probably wouldn't do it because I have other things I want to do with my time :laugh: For various reasons.

Midnite Classic 200? Starting voltage is 1.33 * battery voltage. It works with basically any battery voltage. Costs more than an AIO though.
That's probably why it hasn't come up on my radar. My current budget is 1 MPP 3048LV-MK on sale right now, because I have a lot of other stuff to get in to mount the panels and wire up temporary test setup to confirm its all working.

Back