diy solar

diy solar

Need a way to bottle or can excess solar production.

I've gone round and round in my thinking on this over the last several years - the answer is 'a battery'. Lately, I've been dreaming of a container with 60 used EV batteries to store up 4000kwh during summer for use during winter - 1 cycle / year so used EV batteries should last a long time :)
1 year of backup?!? Your home must see some really lousy weather. Reminds me of growing up near Seattle and having to be told what the strange glowing ball of fire in the sky was one day. Terrifying sight to a young kid.

Problem with all that batteries is it would take a commercial solar farm to charge them in a reasonable time.

I've gone round and round in my thinking on this over the last several years - the answer is 'a battery'. Lately, I've been dreaming of a container with 60 used EV batteries to store up 4000kwh during summer for use during winter - 1 cycle / year so used EV batteries should last a long time :)

Same here. A 1MWh power container should see me through winter without having to run a generator at all. With cells approaching $50 per kWh, it's really entering the realm of reality. Less than a decade ago, cell prices were over $300 per kWh.

Or used EV packs at $25/kWh. Five Tesla Model 3 packs at 80 kWh each remaining cap. = 400 kWh for $10k. Will only get cheaper in the future.
Where do you find Model 3 packs for $2k? Most I see under 5k are damaged.

1 year of backup?!? Your home must see some really lousy weather. Reminds me of growing up near Seattle and having to be told what the strange glowing ball of fire in the sky was one day. Terrifying sight to a young kid.

Problem with all that batteries is it would take a commercial solar farm to charge them in a reasonable time.
I'm a bit south of Seattle, and last year there was a period where my 1.6kw of panels took three weeks to harvest 4kwh. There's a reason nearly everyone around here takes vitamin D supplements all winter, and some of us all year.

Exciting times. Serious power storage is becoming available for a lot of people.

I've been looking into small scale wind power too; when I don't have sun, I usually have wind.

Wind is a lot less ROI than solar panels, but sometimes there's just no sun.

I've been looking into small scale wind power too; when I don't have sun, I usually have wind.

Wind doesn’t scale linearly like solar does, small wind generators will almost certainly disappoint

Don't go with small wind turbines unless you have absolutely perfect conditions. It will be a disappointment otherwise. You're dealing with two fundamental issues:

- The Betz Limit
- The Power in Wind equation

The Betz Limit is basically a theoretical number of the maximum efficiency you can possibly get. At most, only 59.3% of the kinetic wind energy can be used to spin the turbine and generate electricity. Remember this is a theoretical limit; in practice, you're going to be closer to 40%.

The Power in Wind equation is given as:

P = 1/2 x ρ x A x V³

Where:
P = power in Watts
ρ = air density (kg/m³, at about 1.2 at sea level)
A = Swept area of the blades (m²)
V = Velocity of the wind

So, no matter how good your turbine is, you will get in practice at most 40% of the wind energy converted to electricity. To capture the wind energy in the first place, you have two variables to increase (one in your control, the other not): swept area and wind velocity. The smaller you make the turbine, the faster you need to spin to make any meaningful energy. The only variable you control is the swept area, which means making the blades as big as possible. Also notice that the velocity is cubed in that equation, so you'll generate much, much less power at low wind speeds.

In other words, small wind turbines don't work except in ideal situations because physics.

Wind doesn’t scale linearly like solar does, small wind generators will almost certainly disappoint
Don't go with small wind turbines unless you have absolutely perfect conditions. It will be a disappointment otherwise. You're dealing with two fundamental issues:

- The Betz Limit
- The Power in Wind equation

The Betz Limit is basically a theoretical number of the maximum efficiency you can possibly get. At most, only 59.3% of the kinetic wind energy can be used to spin the turbine and generate electricity. Remember this is a theoretical limit; in practice, you're going to be closer to 40%.

The Power in Wind equation is given as:

P = 1/2 x ρ x A x V³

Where:
P = power in Watts
ρ = air density (kg/m³, at about 1.2 at sea level)
A = Swept area of the blades (m²)
V = Velocity of the wind

So, no matter how good your turbine is, you will get in practice at most 40% of the wind energy converted to electricity. To capture the wind energy in the first place, you have two variables to increase (one in your control, the other not): swept area and wind velocity. The smaller you make the turbine, the faster you need to spin to make any meaningful energy. The only variable you control is the swept area, which means making the blades as big as possible. Also notice that the velocity is cubed in that equation, so you'll generate much, much less power at low wind speeds.

In other words, small wind turbines don't work except in ideal situations because physics.

Quite aware that small scale wind is very far from ideal. There's just so much time here where there simply isn't sun. As I said before, this past winter 1.6kw of panels took three WEEKS to harvest 4kwh of power. A wind turbine harvesting an average of 10w 24/7 would have done 5kwh in that same time.

According to this calculator:

A 5ft diameter and 5ft tall VAWT in a 5mph breeze(very doable here) could possibly harvest 15w during that time, so it's doable.

Would have to crunch the numbers and see if I could build a functional VAWT for anything approaching the cost of a pallet of cheap used panels and some lumber for a ground mount.

As I said before, this past winter 1.6kw of panels took three WEEKS to harvest 4kwh of power. A wind turbine harvesting an average of 10w 24/7 would have done 5kwh in that same time.

I know your pain - I'm at 63 degrees north. My 15kW array makes 0 kWh in the middle of winter. However, with wind you also have maintenance. I assume you, like me, are in an area where you have snow and ice in winter? A small turbine will ice up and lock up from snow build up in no time.

5kWh is very easy to make with a generator. With a Diesel generator, you could even make your own fuel with waste vegetable oil (I do this to get through winter).

Not quite Aircon weather and with all the upgrades to my PV setup I am ending up with my batteries fully charged by noon. I don't have an interconnect agreement nor want one. So this leaves me with idle panels during some of the best production time when the weather has been fair.

Sadly you can not fill up a few 5kWh cans of fuel and hawk them to the Tesla tourists as they drive through. Or sell bottles of kool watts on a hot day to dehydrated joggers and the like. No way to make some easy return.

The next frontier for PV has to be a method besides storage batteries to allow easy portability and marketing of watts. Some idle thoughts.

1. A replicator that uses electricity to convert dirt into valuable products such as hairbrushes, beer steins and what nots.
2. Electricity to gasoline converter. Keep the old obsolete gas burner auto still working with this one.
3. Change base metal to gold.

One day someone will solve the electrical power must be used immediately problem.
This makes me envision a future where electricity is used as "currency". I could see people carrying small, light, high capacity batteries and buying things with them.
Later, it morphs into a central bank and a lithium standard is adopted. Cash is printed. Batteries will be rumored to be kept in a guarded vault in Kentucky.

Last edited:
This makes me envision a future where electricity is used as "currency". I could see people carrying small, light, high capacity batteries and buying things with them.
Later, it morphs into a central bank and a lithium standard. Cash is printed. Batteries will be rumored to be kept in a guarded vault in Kentucky.
The 12V "minis" are basically 20lb 1.28 kWh cubes, easily carried one in each hand etc.

In my pursuit of finding things I can run on the excess PV capacity I happened upon this nifty battery powered tricycle with dump bed. Unfortunately it would have to be imported since I do not see any available in the States. Hard to justify buying one for an old fellow living deep in the woods. Even for deliver of bottled electric juice.

Back in my late teens and early 20's my folks built and operated a KOA campground. My tasks for the place involved picking up trash, maintaining the outbuildings, landscaping and just general help to RV's in enjoying their stay. An rechargeable easy access unit like this would have been great. I had to make do with walking and for trash pickup driving a small Mazda gas pickup.

At any who I figgered I would post it up as a possible EV for them that could make use of it.

Screenshot 2024-04-19 162224.png

Back