diy solar

diy solar

Best way to use excess solar to offset gas heat

compwizpro

If this is posted in the wrong spot, feel free to remove.

Hello, I am new here and recently had a 10.65kw grid-tied system installed without battery. After reviewing the first month and a half of production as well as having a lower monthly consumption compared to what I originally provided the installer, I am expecting to have a decent surplus of power during the late winter - spring to late summer - fall months (over 400kwh this month while still falling short of production estimate due to more weather). I currently use a natural gas furnace to heat my house which is decently insulated and am exploring options to offset the natural gas bill by partially heating (and possibly cooling) my house using either a space heater or portable AC with heat pump.

My question is, do other people have experience trying to supplement their heating with some type of electric heating if the have a large excess to offset their gas bill or is that not as common / better ways to take advantage of power?

Details:
I have a 95% efficient 100K but forced air furnace and a 13 SEER 4ton central AC, both recently replaced before I purchased the house so have plenty of life in them. I’m located northern midwest of the United States so winters do get cold.
My utility charges $0.166 per kwh with a sell back rate of $0.043 per kwh of the entire excess if have over the month billing period. My natural gas rate is $1.17 per therm.

I looked into getting a resistive space heater but it calculated out to be over 4 times the cost to heat with electricity vs. natural gas and I get a better by back rate from the utility than that.

I then investigated portable AC with heat pump as those seemed to have a minimum of 2 – 3 COP compared to resistive heat which would make it more efficient use of power than a space heater and I could use it to cool as well if I wanted a room cooler and but didn’t want to turn my AC down. Although they are more expensive, I figured I could run it 5 – 6 months out of the year given the minimum temperature and how long we usually have our heat on for. I found the following units to be the most efficient that could also heat as both have an EER of ~10:
Whynter ARC-14SH and Toshiba RAC-PT1412HVWRU

I know the better option would be to look at a mini split with a much higher efficiency and greater time range of use. It would be difficult to install it on the first or 2nd floor and although the basement is possible, it is naturally a lot colder and would be concerned a large portion of the heat generated would get dissipated back into the ground and not actually go to the rest of the house.

Given the information above, have others in a similar situation with excess production tried to offset their gas with a solution like this or has it been considered and deemed not worth it?

I have read a similar post on this forum regarding this topic but it didn’t seem to touch on the same points I mentioned above.

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• 1680038907376.png
    1680038907376.png
    20.9 KB · Views: 7
trying to supplement their heating with some type of electric heating

Yep - I use a monoblock air to water heat pump. It couples directly to my buffer tank in the same way the wood gasification burner does. From there, it feeds the underfloor radiant heating. Bonus: I can do radiant cooling in summer with the heatpump cooling the buffer tank.

The heatpump allows me to offset the amount of wood I need for heating in the spring and autumn, or even remove the need for wood altogether.

You have a link for one of those monoblocks?

Double bonus points of you know of a US distributer ?

There are several available on the European market, for example:

Not sure about US distributors - I did a quick search, but didn't really find anything. Maybe some well known brands like LG have a US distributor, but again, didn't immediately find one.

Mine is a small PW030-DKZLRS-A from https://www.powerworld-e.com/content.php?id=212
The reason for this one is that I can run it off of my small winter inverter when needed without issues. Any excess solar just gets dumped in the buffer tank (for heating or cooling). It's also cheap, uses R-32, and installing a monoblock is just a matter of hooking up the water (glycol) lines.

Thanks for the reply! I’ve never come across those before. I do have a heat pump water heater on my list to get once my gas one goes out but unfortunately have forced air heating and don’t have an easy way to run a water loop through the air handler.

I also have a forced air gas fired furnace.
I'm going to switch the outside unit to a heat pump.
The gas furnace will be the backup option.

I was going to say electric blanket, but probably under sized. ? I should go to bed.
Or maybe a little infrared heater for zone heating?
If you got the excess then Use it I guess.

Thanks for the reply! I’ve never come across those before. I do have a heat pump water heater on my list to get once my gas one goes out but unfortunately have forced air heating and don’t have an easy way to run a water loop through the air handler.
Water coils are readily available… google “water to air coil” fairly simple to cut into the ductwork of a forced air system…

Why bother looking for something complicated or expensive? If you have excess solar power, just get a $30 space heater from Walmart for every rooom in your house that you want to heat. If you really want to go all out, get a $400 Dyson heater for each room.

Given the information above, have others in a similar situation with excess production tried to offset their gas with a solution like this or has it been considered and deemed not worth it?

Sounds like your NG heating is already the most economical choice and even though you do not get a high return on selling excess solar production to your utility company you do receive some. Buying new equipment to try to heat with the surplus instead of selling it is unlikely to add up to be a good approach. Spending dollars to chase nickles.

One of the classic approaches for those going off grid solar is to heat and cook with gas since doing it with electricity requires such a large investment in solar plus battery setup.

Why bother looking for something complicated or expensive? If you have excess solar power, just get a $30 space heater from Walmart for every rooom in your house that you want to heat. If you really want to go all out, get a $400 Dyson heater for each room.
Ideal solution! You'd really only need a couple. EG: 2 x 1500 watts = 3kW x 10 hrs would gobble up 30 extra kWH's.

Plus this lets you easily stage the power to match how excess energy you have and puts it exactly in the room you're in. Cheap and reliable. If the OP was asking about how to squeeze the most heat out of the short and often cloudys days in the dead of winter then the added expense and complexity of HP etc might be worth talking about.

Last edited:
I use my solar in a shed, converted into an office, and use a simple oil filled heater in winter. In summer I produce way more than what I can use, but I didn't want to go through the extra expense of connecting to the grid, so I installed a couple of outlets in the house and pug in appliances when I have excess solar.

For example I use an induction cooker or a pressure cooker and run two window air conditioners (that Will recommended) in summer on the coldest setting in econ mode while the sun shines. At night I set the temperature higher. In Spring and Autumn, I use a fan heater to use the excess electricity.

My system is experimental, I wanted to get some first hand experience with rooftop solar and I am surprised how much it generates in summer as well as how little in winter when there is cloud cover.

What about a solar diverter (normally used for hot water) powering a storage heater

Solar diverter will use the excess power your PV produces & exports to the grid to heat the storage heaters, which hold and realised the heat when needed

Edit: these are UK links but I'm sure similar items are available in the states

I use radiant floor heat that is fed by a 1200g storage tank. That storage tank is normally heated by my wood boiler and inside that tank is a coil that preheats my domestic water before it goes to my electric water heater.

However that same water heater heater can heat my storage tank via a small circ pump during times of excess PV production and that's what I'm doing right now. Of course that would be a very challenging retrofit but it's example of one way to do it.

For me personally: to get the most out of every WattHour I generate. A heatpump easily gets you two to four times the heat output compared to direct electric for every unit of energy you put in.

I also have a forced air gas fired furnace.
I'm going to switch the outside unit to a heat pump.
The gas furnace will be the backup option.
My coworker also has forced hot air and is able to run a wood boiler heated coil through the air handler to provide heating needs in similar fashion.

Sure it adds a little more complexity but is definitely doable.

That’s what I said.

Back