diy solar

diy solar

6000 watt inverter: Keep or Sell?

ricksterbusa

I have a class A motorhome and I want to build a solar system. I will be working in the rv and boondocking for 1-2 weeks at a time, not really long distance driving. I want to use my electric fireplace, microwave, tv, coffee maker, laptop/phone and maybe an electric blanket, basically everything but AC (not literally all at the same time but the bigger ones like fireplace and microwave for short periods), without having to shut something else off. I also hate the sound of my onboard generator, and I would love to avoid using it if possible during the day and at night. I do a lot of beach rv camping, so the generator hours are limited anyway.

I came into possession (legally, lol) of an Aims Power 6000 watt 24 volt pure sine inverter charger (model picoglf60w24v240vs). Based on the inverter and my desired watt availability, I would like to put a 24 volt system in my rv using this inverter. Most folks say the inverter is overkill for my needs and that is true, but I would like to use if I can rather than having to buy another inverter if it makes sense.

I understand the need to buy the appropriate solar panels and batteries, etc. to run a 6000 watt 24 volt inverter, including the step down converter and the potential large drain on the batteries, and that's where costs will be the deciding factor, especially the necessary battery bank. Looking for opinions on whether I can make this work and how, or if I should just sell it and get a smaller, eg a 3000 or 4000 watt inverter system. Thanks.

Last edited:
That AIMS inverter is a split phase (120V-0- 120V) that can deliver 240V 6000W, or 120V 3000W on each phase. So do you need split phase?
You should find out what your power requirement is to get proper inverter for your needs.
Notes: AC can have power surge from 4 ~ 6 times of normal power during startup of the compressor.

What is the largest amperage load on the 12v system? Do you have a leveling system? If so, that may be the biggest draw and you'll need to design around that.

I was given (legally, LOL) a 1000 watt Xantrex inverter that has been doing a great job in my toy hauler. It's not connected to the main AC system. Free is good and I designed around that. But eventually, I'll buy a big enough inverter to handle all the AC in the trailer. Until then, free works good.

That AIMS inverter is a split phase (120V-0- 120V) that can deliver 240V 6000W, or 120V 3000W on each phase. So do you need split phase?
You should find out what your power requirement is to get proper inverter for your needs.
Notes: AC can have power surge from 4 ~ 6 times of normal power during startup of the compressor.
Honestly, I don't know what that is...my rig is 30 amp not 50. Does that help any? I'm not planning to put this in myself; I'm hiring an rv electrician.

What is the largest amperage load on the 12v system? Do you have a leveling system? If so, that may be the biggest draw and you'll need to design around that.

I was given (legally, LOL) a 1000 watt Xantrex inverter that has been doing a great job in my toy hauler. It's not connected to the main AC system. Free is good and I designed around that. But eventually, I'll buy a big enough inverter to handle all the AC in the trailer. Until then, free works good.
30 amp, no leveling system. It's a 1993 Thor Pinnacle.

No, I definitely don't want to do that.

Do you think it's feasible to use this inverter somehow, or just sell it and get a 3000-4000watt 12 volt inverter and system?

I am only familiar with a few RV terms. Does 30 Amp mean 120 v single phase? If so, @HRTKD implies that it might be complicated. It would depend on whether one wanted the option of 240 volt and a 50 Amp hookup. For me a panel changout is simple and i prefer big Air Condioner loads to run off 240 volts. If the poster is using an RV electrician, the electrician would best answer that question about cost. The quedtion about loads is obviously something the OP should decide.

Last edited:
No, I definitely don't want to do that.

Do you think it's feasible to use this inverter somehow, or just sell it and get a 3000-4000watt 12 volt inverter and system?
3000 watts at 12 volts is extremely large.
4000 watts at 12 volts is nutz.

Yes but you would need to do so jiggery pokery.
You would change to a 50 amp inlet.
Then either modify or swap your ac/dc distribution panel for split phase.
Then you need to balance the loads across the phases.

I will find you a link that describes the difference between single phase and split phase.

There is only one "leg" in a 30 amp distribution panel. With that inverter, it may work to use just one leg coming out of the inverter to the main distribution panel. However, the power into the inverter is what I would worry about.

I believe the larger inverter will have a larger idle power draw than would a smaller, more appropriately sized inverter.

That inverter will work, but it needs a 50A rv cord to use it on shore power.
Either you need an auto transformer to step down the 240 to 120, or you need to only hook up 1/2 of the output to your rv panel.

That inverter will work, but it needs a 50A rv cord to use it on shore power.
Either you need an auto transformer to step down the 240 to 120, or you need to only hook up 1/2 of the output to your rv panel.
Does the transformer mind all the load being between 1 leg and the center tap?

You could hook up the 240, and power a full size electric water heater with it...

If you are near NC, I could install a 3500W inverter in trade...

Back