diy solar

diy solar

60A Solar Controller Max Input

4PAINFULS

Need a little past experience. I have 4 250W panels in series pairs in parallel to keep the voltage reduced. I want to add 2 more panels that would give me 1500W max. My OOYCYOO P60A controller manual says input is 1440W max. I am below my volt and amperage capability of the controller. Would it be safe to connect 1500W worth of solar power to a 1440W max controller? I would never be pulling over 800W. If you need more information, I can give. Thanks!

Would it be safe to connect 1500W worth of solar power to a 1440W max controller? I would never be pulling over 800W.
Yes, especially if you are not exceeding the voltage limit of the controller. The controller will only pull the current it can process or in your case, enough current to satisfy your loads of 800 Watts. Some of the benefits will be you will have a longer period when your system is putting out 800 Watts and you will get more production on overcast days.

That’s called overpaneling. Yours is only 4% IF you panels were in optimal conditions. Most SCC manuals will list the amount you can overpanel by wattage or percentage, if they approve it. Voltage limits seem to be the bigger factor not to exceed.

Back