diy solar

diy solar

60v wires only for 12/24v systems?

tonyg

I was looking to buy wires for my system, hard to find proper good ones here in the UK, especially larger ones.
On this website, which has a selection of marine cables, it says " Suitable for 12v and 24v systems (maximum 60v)." Why not 48v systems as well, if max is 60v? Very confusing...

A 48 volt fla battery bank will clear 60 volts on an equalization charge. A lifepo4 bank can spike past 60 if the bms hits high voltage cutoff. The solar array voltage for a 48 volt system must be over 60 volts to charge a 48 volt system. Therefore a 60 volt rating on wiring isn’t really high enough for a 48v system.

I understand, thank you. What would be the minimum safe rating then? I suppose 100v.
I'm not talking about the wires from the panel to the combiner and MPPT, which are solar cables, but rather about the wires from MPPTs to the batteries and inverter...

I’m not certain but my system has never cleared 75 even with voltage spikes. It’s quite possible that you would never have any trouble even with the 60v wire it depends on why it has that rating. Anything over 75 volts and the rating of your wires is probably the least of your worries anyway.

I was looking to buy wires for my system, hard to find proper good ones here in the UK, especially larger ones.
On this website, which has a selection of marine cables, it says " Suitable for 12v and 24v systems (maximum 60v)." Why not 48v systems as well, if max is 60v? Very confusing...
The important factor for wiring, is the amperage handling ability of the Cable,its Not the Voltage. Ideally you want Cabling that handles double the maximum amperage you will draw through it, so the copper inside it will Never Overheat and crystallise increasing the resistance, and the more that happens, the more you are turning your wire into a power sapping heating element, and increasing the likelihood of a cabling fire. Do Not make the Mistake either, of assuming Boat Wiring is the same as wiring that is done on Land. It is Life Threateningly dangerous to do so, and is an easy mistake to make that I almost did. Luckily, there are free lectures on a YouTube Channel I have no connection with, that spell out how to do things right and Safely, to US Marine Standards Certification, It's the Pacific Yacht Systems channel, includes lectures talks, and insights into every aspect, just look up the video you need to watch, on their video list. Perspective, I'm having my next boat wired up for USA 120v by the factory, as it will be run on 240v and the amperage going through it, will be half. Age old formula to remember - Watts= Volts x Amps. If your cables never get hot, they never wear out. ?apologies in advance for any typos, I only have one hand working, only use touchscreen, and a Prescription medicine almost blinded me. Predictive text loves taking the mickey. ?

Amperage rating is based on the type and size of the conductor.
Voltage rating is based on the type and thickness of the insulation around the conductor.

diy solar

diy solar
Back